Chapter 36

When Jack fled the diner, he went home, packed a bag, and left. He didn't have much time. News traveled fast, and he didn't want an unannounced visit from his boss in the middle of the night. This time Morris wouldn't just rough him up. He'd end up at the bottom of the ocean with a large piece of concrete hung from his neck.

Jack had no idea how to find Christina anymore. She was in the wind. He couldn't believe he had let this happen, but he had, and now was the time to save himself.

His first instinct was to get out of the town. But he had to wait until tomorrow, go to the bank, and pick up the cash he kept in his safety deposit box.

He had an account for everyday expenses but put most of his money in a safety deposit box in a different bank. That kept it away from the taxman who wanted to know how a bouncer_ Jack's official job title_ came up with that much dough.

Morris had snitches all over the town, and by tomorrow, he knew Jack was gone. If one of Boss's men spotted him, he was dead.

His phone rang, and he glanced at the screen; it was Morris.

His phone rang and he glanced at the screen; it was Morris.

He found out faster than I expected!

He stared at the phone until it fell silent.

Before he put it back in his pocket, it chimed once and a message from Boss arrived: "Come on over."

He could see his body plunging into the dark waters of the bay. His head, Chained to a slab of concrete, was going down first.

He turned off the phone. There was no going back now. He stopped the SUV in an alley, turned up the heat a little, and crawled on the back seat to spend the night. Out in the dark, a bird woke up and sang loudly. Jack didn't expect to sleep but was more exhausted than he had thought and soon slid into a slumber.