Chapter 25

The taxi stopped, and Christina stepped out of it. The window shutters were closed, and all lights were out in the house.

He isn't home either?

For the twentieth time, she looked at her phone; Toby had not sent her any messages. She had tried to contact him multiple times, but he didn't respond.

The cabbie took her luggage out of the trunk and put them on the ground. She paid him and went inside.

"Toby? Toby? Are you here?" Checking the rooms, she shouted. The house was empty.

Only one other place remained where she could find him.

"Stupid junkie." She locked the door and went to the park. Wrapping her jacket around her body, she hugged her chest to keep the cold out. In the chilly air past midnight, the park was almost empty. Except for the homeless who put on all the clothes which they owned, and tried to sleep under a pile of cardboard and rags.

Around a small fire in a bucket, an old woman huddled with a couple of men.

Her worried gaze followed Christina as she passed by.

what the hell are you doing here alone at this hour, stupid girl? Christina read in her eyes.

And she was right. The park wasn't safe at night. So far, so good, but who knew what lurked in the shadows of the trees that loomed over her? She wished she had brought her gun with her.

The things that Toby makes me do!

A young man sat on a bench, and a few dozens of empty bottles scattered around him. Whatever party he had enjoyed, was over now.

She peered at his face; he looked familiar. She had seen him with Toby before.

"Excuse me, Joshua is it?"

He looked up and flashed a wide, drunken smile.

"Yes, babe."

His breath reeked of alcohol.

"Have you seen Toby?"

"Oh, I know you. You're his deaf sister."

"Yes, I'm his deaf sister. Have you seen him?"

"Sorry, that was rude to call you deaf, babe! Uh, oh, wait a minute." He ran into the trees.

And after a minute, he returned, trying to fix his zipper. "Yes, he was here hours ago. His girlfriend also was here. But that was before him or after him? Oh, definitely before him. Man, she was pissed. Your brother dumped her. She thinks you made him." He scowled. "Why did you break them up? That's not cool. "

"Which way did he go?"

"Umm...That way... Or that way!" He pointed to two opposite directions and hiccupped.

"Thanks." She walked away.

"Junior was here too."

"What?" Her hands clenched into fists, and she turned toward him.

"Yes, he was looking for your brother. Toby was quite the popular guy tonight." He wagged his finger at her. "You stay away from Junior if you know what's good for you. That guy is bad news."

"What did he say?"

"He said your brother had ordered something, and they were supposed to meet here. Now that I think about it, the only thing Junior sells is guns. Why would Toby want a gun?"

"And you told him where he was?"

"No." His eyes shifted. "But that was the last time I saw any of them."