Chapter 4

Christina sat on the couch in front of the TV, and from the coffee table, picked up a beer. She removed the cap, and let the bitter cold liquid run down her throat. A list of flights to Las Vegas was open on her laptop.

Two days had passed since she went to the strip club. Morris gave her the money the same night, and now she wanted to fly out to the desert and try her luck.

If she won; well sweet. And if she didn't, there wasn't much point in returning, was there? Diners and bars were everywhere, and she could find another job. But here if she didn't pay up her debt, she'd lose a knee cap or two, maybe her life.

Christina couldn't believe Morris just handed over fifty grand after a short conversation. Did he know where she lived?

Nah, how could he?

On her way back from the club, she took a long detour across the city and made sure nobody followed her. Did she look so helpless that they didn't think she might run?

A smirk landed on her face and she gulped down another mouthful of beer. Only Toby, her brother who lived with her, concerned her. If she vanished, they might go after him. But if things went south, she could always call and warn him to leave.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket, and she took it out. Jack had sent her a message: "We need to meet."

What the hell does he want?

"Why?" She typed and pressed send.

"Just come and bring the money with you."

Next came an address.

Why does he want the money?

She tapped the edge of the phone on her chin, wondering if she should go or not.

***

Jack stopped the car outside a three-story house with a red tile roof and an oak wood door.

"What are we doing here?" She watched the building.

"There is a weekly game in this house, which is not exactly in the books. It's by invitation only. I want you to play in it."

"I'm not gonna play here." She turned toward him.

"Why not?"

"Two weeks from now in the casino Lucky, I wanna play in a match that..."

"You go to the game that I tell you to."

"When did I become your slave?" She snapped," I play where I want to. My money, my decision. Thanks for the chat." She opened the door to get out but he grabbed her arm and jerked her back in.

"What kind of chump do you think I am? To give you fifty grand and let you disappear in the thin air?"

She pulled her arm free and rubbed where his fingers had squeezed the flesh.

"What are you gonna do? Beat me? Shoot me? Morris wouldn't be very happy if he knew you meddled with his business."

He pointed at the house. " You think Morris doesn't know about this game? And this is my business too. I vouched for you. You think he would give you fifty grand if I hadn't introduced you? My neck is on the line here. You play where I can collect."

"I'm not gonna bolt. You got nothing to worry about."

"Do you even have the money on you?"

"No and I'm not gonna go get it. I play the game that I choose. And that's final." She said and glared at him.