Chapter One

Her fingers were tapping against the steering wheel, the thudding sound echoing into the silence of the car

Her fingers were tapping against the steering wheel, the thudding sound echoing into the silence of the car. My eyes shift to the road ahead of us, the long empty motorways that continued and wouldn't stop. She turns on the radio, the urgent news about the flood happening in Boston ring into my ears.

I plug in my headphones, blocking out any distractions, trying to calm myself down.

My head turns and faces the window beside me, the trees passing by me within seconds. I barely had enough time to figure out the colour of the leaves because of how fast my mum was driving.

Suddenly my sanctuary was shattered as my headphones were yanked from my ears. "I'm speaking to you, Lina."

"I didn't realise," I muttered, a feeble attempt to deflect confrontation.

"This is good for you, the best medical school in Boston," she declared, her words laden with an unspoken expectation. I felt the urge to claw my way out of my own skin as I scratched my forehead in frustration. "Maybe you could actually pass your fourth year instead of failing it."

"I didn't fail," I protested.

"You didn't write anything on the exam," she scoffed, dismissing my efforts with a wave of her hand. "That, my dear, is failing."

A bitter taste lingered on my tongue as I mustered the courage to speak. "You only care because it hurts your precious reputation." In that fleeting moment, her gaze met mine, and the darkness in her brown eyes sent shivers down my spine.

"Watch your mouth," she warned, a sharpness cutting through the air. I mechanically wrap my headphones around my phone, turning away to shield myself from her scrutiny. "I've worked hard for what I have. It wasn't handed to me on a silver platter like it was for you."

"Easy?" I retorted incredulously. "You think I had it easy? I worked day and night—"

"As have I!" She interjected, her voice rising. "And all for you to fail your last year in medical school, all because of your damn ego."

"My ego?" I whispered, the tension escalating as we approached the imposing black gates of the school. "You're one to talk. You're sending me off to a medical school in the middle of nowhere, so if I do fail again, no one will know because you pay for complete confidentiality," I continued, my voice growing stronger. "You can't have one of the top general surgeons in the world raising a stupid daughter."

"Stupid is right."

The imposing gates slowly creak open, granting us passage into the school grounds. My mother navigates the car until we arrive at an old, grandiose building that seemed to sprawl over twelve acres of land.

The air buzzes with the energy of students engaged in various activities—some seated on the lush grass engrossed in books, while others partake in a spirited game of rugby in a distant corner. As my mother puts the car in park, we both step out into the open.