The Meadow - ch 4

Hailey decided that she wanted to try out being a floral designer, someone who created beautiful arrangements for others to enjoy. She spent her days wandering through the lush gardens, picking flowers and learning about their different colors, shapes, and scents. She would sit by the lake, sketching out designs and imagining how they would look when arranged in vases or bouquets.

Her favorite place to work was in a small, quaint shop in a mid-sized Dutch village on the edge of the mountain, owned by an elderly woman named Dahlia. Dahlia was more than just a shopkeeper; she was like a grandmother to Hailey, always offering her wise advice and encouragement. Hailey would help Dahlia arrange flowers for weddings, birthdays, and other special occasions, and in return, Dahlia taught her everything she knew about the art of floral design.

The shop was filled with an intoxicating blend of scents, from the delicate fragrance of roses and lilies to the earthy aroma of chrysanthemums and carnations.

As Hailey worked alongside Dahlia, she found herself becoming more confident in her abilities. She could envision the finished product even before she began to pick up her tools. Her fingers moved instinctively, trimming the stems, arranging the petals, and tying the ribbons in just the right way. She could feel the joy that her creations brought to others, and it was a feeling unlike any she had ever experienced. However, was this the life she wanted to live?

Hailey wasn't sure. Wondering around the meadow, she walked up to another girl about the same age as her, wearing a Tiffany blue gown, and introduced herself.

"Hi, my name's Hailey. I'm fairly new here and I was wondering if I could ask you a favor?" The girl looks at her with big, curious eyes.

"Sure, you can ask me anything. Maybe I can help."

"I've been thinking about trying out a different role, but I'm not sure which one to choose. Wait, you're my age, right? Why isn't your gown purple?"

"Cause I've been here a while. How long, I do not know. It all blurs and the passage of time becomes confused. The only way to tell we've been here a while is by the color of our gown. Our gowns morph into different colors to indicate how long you've been here. And before you start counting colors and doing math to try and determine how long you can stay here, the color changes are different for every girl, I think. Also, some colors indicate position instead of time. Also, I was told every girl's maximum time here is different and can become longer or shorter based on your experiences here."

"You aren't worried about your time ending and you having to live a life you didn't choose?"

"Honestly, I can say I really don't mind what life I end up in as long as I'm a girl. The way I see it, I can make that life whatever I want once I get there, using all the knowledge and experience I'm gaining while I'm here. See, I'm trying out every experience I possibly can while I'm here. So far I've experienced what it'd be like to be a coach to Olympic gymnasts, a weather girl on the evening news, a nail tech, a mom with eight children all under the age of fifteen, a high fashion model, a competition archer with no legs, the daughter of a billionare, a concert pianist, a school teacher, a personal assistant to a Hollywood actress, and the wife of a Central American drug lord. Now i think I'm ready to let Lily know my decision is made. I'm ready to leave this place and become a baby making, trad wife."

"That's cool, I guess. But, all those experiences were of girls who are dependent on others. You see, I've always been fascinated with women who are in charge."

The other girl nods, intrigued. "So you want to try being a businesswoman, high on the corporate ladder?"

"Well, not exactly," Hailey said, thinking about it. "I've always been fascinated by strong, independent women who can take charge in any situation. I guess I'm just drawn to that kind of confidence and power."

The other girl noded thoughtfully, considering Hailey's words. "Hmm, that's an interesting idea. You could try being a bodyguard, maybe even a private detective or a bounty hunter?" She pauses, grinning slyly. "Or how about a pirate captain? You'd be in charge of your crew, making decisions, and navigating treacherous waters."

Hailey laughed at the idea of being a pirate captain, imagining herself leading a fearsome crew of swashbucklers across the high seas in search of lost treasure. She liked the idea of being in control and making her own rules, but something about those suggestions didn't excite her. They felt.....off. It wasn't quite what she was looking for.

The other girl, sensing this, leaned in closer. "Well, how about this? Have you ever thought about being a leader in politics? You could be a U.S. senator, or even the president of your country." She leaned in toward Hailey. "What country on earth are you from. You are from earth, right? Sorry, I just assumed."

"Yeah, earth," Hailey replied, confused by that question. "And I  am from the US."

"President of the United States,  the most powerful country on earth. Just imagine it." Her eyes lit up as she said the words, her voice filled with awe and wonder, and Hailey couldn't help but feel intrigued.

The idea of being in charge of an entire nation, shaping its policies and guiding its people, held a certain allure. Hailey pictured herself standing on the steps of the Capitol Building, giving passionate speeches about liberty, independence, and justice, working tirelessly to make the world a safer place. She could surround herself with smart, dedicated advisors who shared her vision, and together, they could make America and the world a better place.

As she imagined herself in this role, she realized that she would need to hone her skills in negotiation, compromise, and strategic thinking. She would need to learn about economics, foreign policy, and the intricacies of domestic issues. The thought of attending universities, networking with other politicians, and gaining experience in local politics begins to form a clear path forward.

Hailey suddenly found herself in the role of a politician at the city level trying to run for a State office.

The political scene was more competitive than she had anticipated. There were several other candidates vying for the same position, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Hailey attended countless meet-and-greets, debates, and fundraisers, where she had to not only prove her worth but also distinguish herself from the other candidates.

She quickly learned that being a good politician required more than just a desire to make a difference. It requires an intimate understanding of the electorate, the ability to navigate complex relationships with powerful individuals and interest groups, and the resilience to weather attacks from both opponents and critics.

It didn't take long for her to decide this wasn't the role for her either. Once again she awakened to find the other girl, who's name she never learned, was gone, but Hailey was still in the meadow.