10: Cool Water - 1 :DRAFT:

DRAFT

"Molly? Giovanni? Daddy?" Anthony called out. The streets of New York were dusted in snow, and little Anthony was freezing. The tip of his nose was bright pink and his small hat and puff-jacket could not keep him warm.

New York was a big place for nine year old Anthony, tall grey buildings with bright white shining lights. People in their coats and shoes passed by him, rushing home. So many white stars and comeyts fell from the sky, pretty and strange. When they touched Anthony's long sleeves, the white stars and comeyts would melt into water drops.

At first, wandering away from his family was an adventure.

Pa' had been walking for ages and Anthony was tired. He had been bringing Anthony, Molly and Niss to the most boring places: a tall tower named Emperor state building, some iron lady on an island and well— a museum. None of these places were fun. Fun places were the gelato store by the hotel that Pa kept ignoring or big Broadway street with the big signs and pretty colors. Walking around for hours in the cold winter visiting historic locations was not the same as sitting down and watching Little Shop of Horrors or The Phantom of the Opera.

So, bored and annoyed, Anthony began to play this game called see how far I can stay behind before Pa notices or before I can't see Pa's shiny head.

In the beginning, Molly stuck onto Anthony like glue. Her hand in his. Her dirty-blonde hair bounced while she skipped beside him. Her pace slowed down, confusion overtaking her expression.

"Why are we walking slower?"

Molly had asked. Anthony explained the game and Molly frowned. She squeezed Anthony's hand, "It's not safe to play that. What if papa gets mad?"

Still, Molly stayed beside Anthony, and Anthony began to play his game. Every time, he stayed a few steps behind and stayed back farther and farther. Pa' didn't notice like usual. Niss couldn't notice because Pa's hand was firmly on Niss' shoulder, forcing him to follow alongside him.

The moment Papa's shiny navy blue suit began to hide between the bodies of dresses, coats, scarfs and hair, Molly began to worry.

"This isn't right. We're going to lose Fratello* and Papa," Molly said.

"It'll be fine," Anthony kicked a pebble. "I'm just a few steps behind. I know where you are because of Pa's ugly head. Don't worry."

Molly's frown didn't disapear. Once Papas' shoulders were out of sight, Molly tried to force Anthony to walk faster, but Anthony stubbornly slowed down.

"Anthony please, let's not stay too far away. What if bad people get us?" Molly said.

"They'd be stupid to."

"Stupid's a mean word Anthony."

Annoyingly, as Pa slowly disappeared from sight, Molly began to whine and complain. She said things like:

"It's not safe."

"We are going to be lost, I can barely see Niss."

"Antonio, this is not funny anymore!"

Anthony ignored her attempts to convince him. Actually, every time Molly opened her mouth to say something new, Anthony only got angrier.

"Shut up Molly!" Anthony said. Molly's cheeks reddened. She was angry too, her hands squeezing Anthony's hand. Molly may look weak but she was strong, stronger than Anthony.

"You don't know what's good for you!" Molly squeaked back.

Anthony loved his twin, but sometimes she was too nosey, too pushy and so annoying. In Anthony's mind, Molly was too weak for adventure. She was a scardey cat. Scaredy cats weren't fun. Molly was ruining his fun.