VII

chapter seven The Love You Pretend To Give

chapter seven
The Love You Pretend To Give

A cigarette smelled smile and a lovely shade of deep pink lipstick. A boy from a nice family and a girl from a kind family.

Roman smiled as he watched Anastasia walked out of her smaller house that sat on the edge of the Brooklyn River. Him leaning against the nice, rich black convertible. That smile across Roman's young lips as Anastasia smiled back.

"You ready?" Roman asked as he gently opened the door of his car for his beautiful date. "For you, Mr. Odair, always" Anastasia smiled as she kindly got into his car. Roman smiled a kind, yet dominant smile as he closed the door for her.

His footsteps were heavy on the concrete as he walked around the car and into the drivers seat. Roman drove down a long, none busy road. It was off a cliff and had an amazing view of the ocean. Anastasia's blonde hair blew gently in the wind as she smiled. It was the kind of smile that made everyone else in the room smile. She was beautiful.

Or maybe she wasn't pretty enough.

Maybe her smile wasn't enough.

Maybe her laugh or her face, wasn't enough.

Because no matter how much she loved Roman, and cared for him, she never felt like enough.

Nights after their first date, things became more clear. Not matter how much Anastasia spoke Italian to Roman and no matter how much Roman yelled at Anastasia in Russian, she never left. He never left.

Some nights Roman would cover Anastasia in black and blue, well others, he would hold her close on the couch as they watched sloppy romantic movies. Anastasia always loved Roman, no matter how times his fist hit her face or how much her screams filled the house with mercy, she always loved him.

"Roman!" Anastasia yelled as Roman's foot met her innocent face. "MOM!" Damon yelled as he watched from the stairs. Damon had never watched only listened, but today something told him to watch. "Damon, go upstairs" Anastasia begged her son, seeing him standing on the stairs, holding onto the banner.

"Dad! Stop!" Damon screamed as Roman noticed his son. "Son" Roman's face seemed to soften. "Come here" Roman sighed as Damon slowly walked down the steps of the staircase. The older man's arms folded around his son as Damon's eyes watched his mother slowly lean up against a wall. "Mo-" A hand covered Damon's mouth and nose.

"No" Anastasia whispered as she watched her husband, suffocate her son. Anastasia couldn't help her son, all she could do was watch. Her entire body was numb as her own blood stained her perfect white dress. She always wore a white dress and heels to church as Roman wore a black suit with his hair slicked back.

Anastasia was never religious before she met Roman. She never went to church or prayed to god, but after she met Roman, that was all she knew, and she hated it.

Roman watched his wife pass out as his son did the same. Roman had never wanted to hurt his son, or his wife, but they just got on his nerves, and they just kept pushing.

Roman grew up in a military family, and he never knew the difference between hurting someone and helping someone. His father was always in the force and his mother always took him and his siblings to church everyday. It was his life.

He never wanted to hurt anyone but yet again, he always wanted to hurt someone. Maybe it was in his nature.

"Watch" Roman held the gun to Anastasia's head as Damon watched.

"Maybe if I had just moved, she would still be here" Damon said to the random group of strangers that all sat on chairs in the circle.

"It's not your fault" The woman said.

"It is" Damon responded.

"It is"

703 words

National Domestic Violence HotlineThe National Domestic Violence Hotline is a 24-hour confidential service for survivors, victims and those affected by domestic violence, intimate partner violence and relationship abuse

The National Domestic Violence Hotline is a 24-hour confidential service for survivors, victims and those affected by domestic violence, intimate partner violence and relationship abuse. Advocates are available at 1-800-799-SAFE and through online chatting at www.TheHotline.org. All calls are free and confidential