3. The Weight Of Guilt

In the morning, MS was checking his mails when one caught his attention. This was from Suresh's college. The man in question had apparently skipped most of his classes and was running short of attendance. The college had arranged extra classes and the email conferred the same. It was mandatory to complete the seventy five percent attendance to appear for the exam.

MS got up to make another cup of tea for himself. Sonu had gone for his session with the therapist and he didn't look happy. He didn't protest but he could see he didn't want to go. Now this was one more headache. It would be no easy task to make Sonu go and attend the classes. He knew. He wished he didn't have to do all this. His mother was much better at this job. She was the one who could make both of them toe the line without sounding anywhere near anarchist he was.

"Morning Mahi" MS shook to reality when he felt someone hugging him from behind. Sakshi. He turned back to engulf her into his arms.

"You okay? " She asked looking at the turmoil in his eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept for last two days. Mahi forced a smile, "Absolutely fine"

"Sonu ko leke pareshan hai? " Mahi forced a bitter smile again, "he will be alright"

"He has to" Sakshi assured, "He has a beautiful family which is waiting to have him back"

"Achha Mahi, I had made uthhapam for you all. Where are the twins? " Sakshi looked around for a few seconds, "And where is Sonu? He came here with me "

"They are out to play" MS looked at the time. It was past 11, the kids were out since 7. He hoped they returned soon. They hadn't even had their breakfast. He had barely managed to cut fruits for them at that time.

Sakshi entered Sonu's room to see him half lying on the floor, making the sides of bed as headrest.

"You haven't changed? Come on, freshen up fast and come down. I've brought utthappam for y'all"

Suresh directed a foul glare at Sakshi, "Do you not have sense to knock before barging into someone's room?"

Sakshi was taken aback. He was indeed right, she should have knocked. Just that the door was open already and they had been too comfortable with each other before the agony happened that it didn't cross her mind.

"I'm sorry Sonu. I wasn't thinking. I'll remember to knock next time" Sakshi apologized genuinely.

"Now come down fast. Mahi is waiting for you"

"Tell him that I'm not hungry and he doesn't need to worry about me every damn minute like I'm an unruly child"

"Have you eaten anything since morning? It's 11:35 already. When do you plan to take something? " Sakshi asked keeping her calm.

"What did I just tell you Sakshi? I'm not a kid and I can take care of myself just well enough. Get that fixed into your head. Don't you dare try to be my mother" Sonu shouted.

Sakshi flinched. She had not expected that reaction from Sonu. They had been best friends, as thick as thieves. Tears brimmed into her eyes despite her struggle. She blinked them off before they could made their way down her cheeks. She gulped the lump down her throat and brought a humorous smile before she spoke next, "Aunty would hate to see you starve. Do it for her may be"

Sakshi rushed out of the room as fast as she could. She went to the washroom, washed her tear flushed face and calmed herself down before going to Mahi.

"Bhai please na, I've washed my hands. I'll change after eating. Bohot bhookh lagi hai. Let us eat first" Sakshi was greeted with this scene. Virat was clinging to MS in his dirty kit. Bhuvi was standing a bit behind, hoping that Virat convinces Mahi bhai to let them be.