5. The Vocal Prodigy

Suresh somehow got up, washed his face and came down at the dinner table. He didn't want Mahi to find him in the same distraught state on the third consecutive day.

But it seemed luck had other plans for him, Virat spontaneously asked, "Sonu pa aapka concert kab hai yahaan? We want to attend "

"Huhh? " Sonu blinked his eyes twice. How did he remember concert all of a sudden?

"Haan, it's been long since we attended bhaiyu's concert.. " Bhuvi added.

Sonu tried to pretend that he didn't hear them at all. Virat tried to nudge him again but another violent episode of cough distracted them.

As couple of days went by and his cough relieved, MS broached the topic on the dinner table again.
He was concerned about his practice routine. Their mother was a learned vocalist herself. Suresh had inherited the talent from her. He used to do riyaz with her in the mornings. Apparently he had no idea how he practiced these days, off late he rarely saw him doing that.

"Sonu do you need a mentor? We can look for someone " MS asked the one question he had been wanting to ask since quite some time.

Suresh shook his head in no. He hadn't learned from anyone except his mother and he was pretty hesitant to switch to a new guru.

"Pakka? I'm sure it will help looking at the state you are in.. "

"The state I'm in currently, no one will take me in. I'll be kicked out on the first day" Sonu shouted irritatedly. He tried to blink back the tears that threatened to spill over but failed miserably. Finally he got up from the table to go. "I'm done" he managed to say before leaving.

MS was shocked. The twins were dumbfounded. They just knew something was wrong with Sonu but had no idea exactly what.

"Cheeku, bhuvi, eat. Finish the food" MS directed the kids as he himself got up to go to Sonu's room with his plate.

"Mahi please. I don't want to talk right now. " Sonu growled as MS knocked his door.

"Alright. Don't talk. But I'm here with your food. " MS spoke standing outside the door.

"I have eaten already. Let me sleep now. " Sonu growled again. He was annoyed at himself for being an emotional wreck and at Mahi for never leaving his side no matter how much of an annoyance he was being.

"No you haven't" MS spoke, his tone taking a more firm tone, "And I'm not leaving until you have it"

"So you plan on spending all night here? Well, good night" Sonu spoke, trying hard to appear calm.

"I'm sitting here at the door. Open it whenever you feel hungry" MS put the plate down and sat down besides the door, leaning against the wall.

Sonu pretended not to hear it but his thumping heart was proving otherwise. He sat down and took few sips of water from his bottle. He took five minutes to calm himself down and then went closer to the door. "Mahi are you still there? "

"Hmm? Lag gyi bhookh? "

"I told you I'm not hungry. Did you eat? "

"Alright. Alright. Call me when you are, I'm in no hurry anyways" MS shrugged.

Sonu took an exasperated sigh.

"I asked something Mahi"

"I've ate sonu. What else? "

"Of course. How dumb do you think I am? "  Sonu hissed as he jolted open the door.

Mahi smiled seeing the boy in front of him, who was scowling like anything. He was glad that Sonu was in a better mood now.