11. The MasterChef Sonu

Sonu had his vacations going on after the end sems. He had a good 2 month long break to himself before the college starts again. He had hardly attended any lectures in the last semester but this time he knew Mahi won't spare him. So he was prepared for the college time. Currently though, he was a lot relaxed. He was learning new things, cooking being at his first priority. His mother often used to say that cooking was her therapy. He had heard endless lullabies from her while sitting on the kitchen slab.

Today, he had woken up before anyone to make breakfast. It was a Sunday morning so Mahi had not woken up at his usual time. On normal days, Mahi hardly let him do anything all by himself. He realised it was best to do it when he was sleeping.

When Mahi came to the kitchen, he could hear soft melodious hummings. There Sonu was preparing batter for the dosa. Mahi went over and started doing preps for coffee and his tea.

"Sit back Mahi"

"Huhh? " Mahi turned towards the source of the sound. Sonu, who was focussed on the batter spoke again, "Will you sit on that chair please? "

"I have to make tea Sonu. What are you doing here this early? "

"Breakfast is on me today. Sonu's treat" Sonu replied.

"Okayyy" Mahi got down on the chair and relaxed his arms. "Toh kya hai aaj breakfast mein? "

"Masala dosa"

"Wow. I'm seated"  Mahi picked the newspaper and sat down to read.

Sonu placed Mahi's tea cup in front of him and sat down on another chair with his own cup of tea.

"Saks is coming today? " Sonu asked.

"Don't know" Mahi replied non-chalantly.

"Don't know matlab? You two don't talk to each other? "

"Tu puchh le, teri bhi toh best friend hai" Mahi said, almost sounding irritated.

"Damn, did you two fight? " Sonu asked fixing his gaze on MS.

MS shook his head.

"Lie" Sonu narrowed his eyes at him.

"I mean, yes, but it was not a fight" Mahi tried to put his point forward but Sonu beat him to it. "I do not understand why you even fight with her. What did I teach you? Just say sorry and do what she says"

"But it was not my fault? "

"I do not buy it. What did you say to make her upset? "

Mahi cringed looking at his brother. Never had he ever taken his side when he got into an argument with Sakshi. Instead, he made sure he apologised, no matter whose fault it was.

"I said nothing Sonu. Will you let me have my tea in peace? "

"Aapke jaise chalta raha na toh I'll never get a bhabhi. Baithe raho apna ego leke" Sonu said as he got up from the chair in frustration.

"And how did you assume I never apologised? " Mahi said turning towards him.

"You did? "

"I did. But she is just not listening"

"Aisa kya kiya tune? "

"Nothing. I just forgot that I had promised to go out with her at shopping and got busy in work"

"And? "

Suresh was convinced that this was not all. Sakshi actually had learnt to put up with Mahi's weird work habits. She usually gave in even if she was annoyed if they apologised properly.