10. Exam Season

Sonu banged his head over the table. Mahi had held him captive in his study since the last 2 hours to prepare for his exams. He had tried sneaking out twice but got his head blasted with Mahi's scoldings. He opened his book again once he heard Mahi's footsteps coming towards the room, he really didn't want more of it.

A cup of coffee was placed in front of him with a slight nudge at his shoulder. He turned to have a look at MS, the man was sitting a chair behind him, sipping his own tea. Tea, he was sure, all of them preferred coffee but Mahi was the only one who liked tea. And there were hardly many things in which Mahi took more pleasure in, than sipping on a cup of tea.

MS raised his eyebrows at him, "Why are you looking at me like this? "

Sonu shook his head. He didn't mean to stare.

"Mahi" He spoke after taking a second, "Can you ever stop drinking tea? "

"Why do you ask? "

"It's so dear to you. If you ever have to stop taking it altogether, what would you do?"

"Jaan pe na aa jaaye tab tak toh chhod nhi raha" Mahi replied as he took another sip.

"But you don't apply the same for alcohol. It's a different game altogether. " MS added.

"I wasn't even thinking about that" Sonu replied, almost offended.

"Then? "

"Nothing.... Nevermind. " Sonu turned back to his book.

"Ek aur question tha" Sonu turned back after a minute.

"Hmm? "

"Till what time I'll be kept hostage here? " Sonu asked.

MS went closer to Sonu and ran his fingers into his hair, not gently, to irritate him. Sonu still leaned into him. MS held him closer.

"Finish this chapter and go. "

Sonu groaned. The chapter was too big to be finished in one night and Mahi didn't understand it.

"It's been 3 hours Mahi"

Mahi smiled. "I would have let you go if you had completed this in half an hour too. "

"But-.. " Sonu cried.

"How is Reddy ma'am? "

"Hn? " Mahi had asked almost out of blue, sonu was not expecting this question. Subbulaxmi Reddy, his new mentor, was actually a fine lady, but he felt she was bit too high handed for his taste.

"Quite like you. Bossy af" Sonu replied.

MS chuckled.

"Focus on learning. Don't be a brat" He added.

"I'm not a brat? "

MS kept his both palms on younger one's shoulders, "My sweet little brother, you ARE a real brat"

"Bhai, listen to me first" Sonu called out, "I was already short on attendance. Now I've missed classes due to this injury. They will not even let me sit in the exams "

MS sat on the table in front of Sonu, "I've submitted your medical leave certificate to them. And don't think too far ahead, focus your energy on what you can control"

"Easy for you to say" Sonu muttered.

MS plopped down and cupped Sonu's face, "I know. But that's the best chance we have got. Better to take it, right? "