14. Great friends make the ride easier

Sonu's next semester was starting and this time he was committed to attend classes daily. Plus, he had to clear his previous sem paper as well. So he was going to put efforts in his studies and he was ready for it. His mother had drilled into them the importance of education, and he understood that pretty well. His brain had been quite haywire in the last few months but this time he did feel that he needed to move on. He had promised Mahi that and he was going to keep it.

Pretty soon he understood that college was not for him. He was a loner and it was difficult surviving in college that way. It hadn't helped that he had bunked almost all classes in the previous semester. Now he knew no one in the college and he didn't know how to start talking with strangers. So he always sat in the corners to avoid awkward interactions with anybody. In breaks between classes he would quietly go the cafeteria, take an empty seat and listen to the music.

On one such day, he was having his coffee with his airpods on when one weird looking guy came and starting doing weird gestures in front of him. He was wearing a white printed tee under a leather jacket and orange joggers. He had a dark complexion and had an uncanny hairdo which he couldn't quite name and had two thick gold chains around his neck. Sonu removed his airpods and glared at him.

The guy dropped his hands and sat on the chair in front of him without invitation. "Yo bro. You sing so well. I loovee your voice. What a voice, ummah"

Sonu forced a smile and nodded. This guy didn't even look like he listened to his songs but anyways. Before he could think more, the guy started speaking again, "I sing as well. And I'm quite good at that. What do you say about a collab? Btw Sir DJ Bravo here " , the guy said extending his hand for a handshake.

Tenatively, Sonu shook hands with the guy. "Sir? " he couldn't stop himself from repeating.

"Yup" the guy smirked, "Sir DJ Bravo, the star of this college" he said lifting the collar of his jacket.

Sonu blinked his eyes twice at the cockiness and then went back to his coffee without answering. The guy spoke again, without seeming to take any offence, "here, meet my friend, Robbie. Robbie Uthappa", he said, gesturing to the guy who was standing behind Sonu.

Sonu turned back and noticed him for the first time. " Robbie Uthappa? Another weird name" , he repeated as he forwarded his hand for the handshake as the guy came in front.

Robbie gave an awkward shy smile and shook hands. "Hey sit please" Sonu said dragging a chair from his back for Robbie to seat. This one looked normal to him, he was dressed in yellow polo tee and black cargos, nothing too formal, nothing too funky. All balanced. Even hairdo was like normal people, clean shaved. He wondered what he was doing with this weird guy. These two looked so different, he wondered if they ever had fun together.

"Robbie is the topper of last sem. This guy provides notes to the whole batch", the funky guy, DJ told. Sonu observed the guy again, yeah, he looked like that.

"I was sitting behind him in exams. He helped me pass as well. He is a top guy I'm telling you" DJ showered praises on his friend. Sonu wondered why he was telling him all that. He was not looking forward to pass by cheating with topper's amswers.

"And where were we? Yeah. What do you say about a collab? Two stars of this college. It will be a blast baby. DJ Suresh and DJ bravo are gonna rock it! "

Sonu frowned, "I'm no DJ"

"Ofcourse. We do not even another DJ"  Sonu rolled his eyes at his quick u-turn.

"So what I'm saying is, we will make a collab. You have heard bazigar o bazigar? "
"Yeah. So? "

"We will make something like that" Bravo told, his eyes twinkling.

"YOU? Will make something like that? " Sonu snickered at the guy's audacity.

Bravo frowned, "Where's the problem? You will sing the softer part and then I'll come with all rock and pop! "

Sonu moved a hand in his own hair, the guy was talking about the viral version where some rapper completely destroyed the melody. He now hated this idea even more.

"I need to go now. Excuse me" Sonu got up from his seat and turned to go. He couldn't sit with the guy any longer or he would lose his sanity.

"Suresh" Sonu heard the other guy calling his name, he turned tentatively, "I just wanted to tell that I love your music. It's my solace actually. I hope we didn't trouble you much. If you need anything, please give me a call. "

Sonu smiled at him and left. Robbie, he remembered his name, was sweet. The other guy was too annoying. He wished he wasn't that weirdo's friend.

2 weeks later,

The whole college was standing in cafeteria, when one dude was sitting on a chair and casually singing while playing his guitar. Everyone was quietly listening, some were recording his voice, but every one of them was mesmerized. Sonu gave a grateful smile to the audience as he played the last chord. He could see everyone cheering on the top of their voices. They were requesting for one more song.

Robbie, who was standing besides him interrupted for him, "Guys. He is tired. Let's just let him rest for now? "

Robbie had pleaded Sonu to sing for them. Sonu had denied many times but he had insisted on it. In the two weeks of knowing him, he had got to know that Sonu had social anxiety. So now he felt it was his responsibility to get him out of this. But to his surprise, Sonu just gave a reassuring smile, "It's alright. I'll sing one more"

🎶
      Sachchi si hain ye taareefein,
        dil se jo maine kari hain

        Jo tu mila toh saji hai,
          duniya meri humdum
                                                           🎶

           Tere naam pe meri zindagi
             likh di mere humdum

Sonu clapped towards the audience to ask them to join him in singing the next lines. The audience sang in chorus,

                Haan sikha maine jeena,
                  jeena kaise jeena,
               Haan sikha maine jeena,
               tere bina humdum

The cafeteria hall once again reverberated with claps once Sonu finished singing. Sonu gave a final bow to all the people gathered there and walked away with his guitar feeling unusually happy. He couldn't remember when was the last time he sang in front of the crowd this easily. All he remembered of his recent concerts was him sweating with anxiety and then gulping bottles of alcohol to get through it. But this time it felt different, there was no commitment, no contract, no tickets, he was just singing because he was enjoying it. He had almost forgotten how it felt like! In a way he was grateful to Robbie and Bravo to pester him to sing. Bravo, though a bit too tacky for his paste, was a sweetheart he was realising. He had pestered him to bring his guitar to the college and then sing stupid rhymes with him in the free time. However childish it looked like, he really enjoyed that time of the day. Robbie was a great help as well. He was guiding him to clear the last sem paper, along with helping him in the projects and assignments of current sem.

   ----------------------×××××××----------------------

Mahi had asked all of them to stay back after dinner. Sakshi was present as well. Mahi stood up and looked at them, "2 din baad mumma ki barsi hai. I was thinking ke hum ghar pe ek pooja rakhwa lete hain. Just the family, no one else"

Sonu gave a blank nod, nodded again and walked away to his room. Hell, he had almost forgotten about it. How could he! When he was the very reason for it all!
Sonu felt disgusted with himself as he locked the door and slumped on the floor.