chapter 2

"Josh Jackson!!!!" Out of all men, my mother wants me to marry him. Shit! "Yes, I bet you know him. Rowan, we need someone like him. He's very talented." I hate to admit it, but this is my reality – living to satisfy people I don't even know.

"Don't you believe in my talent and hard work?" I asked, frustration creeping in. "It's not what I mean," her face softened. "Yeah, I get it. When do you want me to marry him?" Arguing with her is fruitless, and what's the point of arguing when even your own mother doesn't care about your decisions? "You have to meet him tomorrow; the marriage will be soon." Of course, she would plan every detail, even the color of our bedsheet on our first night. That's my mother – she plans, she executes. "Okay." Maybe my short replies prompted her to continue.

"Rowan, there are legal systems if you can't fit into a marriage, like separation." "It takes time, Mother. We can only file for divorce after one year of marriage." One year – I can barely imagine living with a man for that long. "It's just one year, Rowan. Can't you at least try for me?" Emotional blackmail – it always works when it comes from family.

                     ..................

The cozy coffee shop lifted my mood with its slow music and aromatic coffee. "Hi," a deep, strong voice caught my attention, and I looked up to see a well-framed man standing beside my table. "Hi," I replied, taking in his flawless appearance – perfectly brushed hair, casual yet luxurious attire. I felt competiton for the first time in my life.

"I'm Josh, Josh Jackson," he said, extending his hand. "Rowan Toms, please be seated."
He's wearing casual outfit like he's here for a vacation or something yet smells expensive.
I'm on another hand, I'm in a suit .We ordered hot chocolate, and he asked, "Do you have any other plans today?" "Yes," I lied, finding it easier than explaining. I can simply assume he asked it just because of my cloths .

"I've heard so much about you; you inspire many startups. It's amazing," Josh said, his genuine compliment stunning me – even my mother hadn't praised me like that. "Thank you," I said with a small smile. Our hot chocolate arrived, and our table fell silent.

"Feel free to ask me anything," Josh's annoying grin sparked irritation. "No, I already know about you."
I had Googled him before meeting.
"Oh, that's interesting. What do you know about me? I'm curious."

"You're 28, Christy Jackson's only son. You studied abroad before joining your father's company. You were a basketball team captain in school and college, and you love seafood," I said in one breath.
Josh laughed, and I asked,
"What's so funny?"

"You Googled my name, didn't you?"
Shit, how did he know?!
"Actually, when I'm bored, I Google my own name – it's fun."
A true psychopath. I thought.

"To be honest, I'm not a big seafood fan; I don't know where they got that information," Josh corrected, and I focused on my hot chocolate.

"So, you want to get married?" Josh's question paused my sip. "Yeah, I've worked long enough; now I want to think about a family." Lying wasn't hard.
He nodded with a agreement.

We finished our drinks,and step out of cafe. Josh said, "They're planning the wedding soon; I think we should ask for more time to get to –"

"No, no, I'm totally okay with this date," I interrupted, knowing my mother would only prolong my frustration. So what's the point of postponeding!

"Oh, okay. I didn't know you were really desperate to marry me." Josh chuckled. This motherfucker. Now I officially dislike him.

To be continued.....