Chapter 7: Result and Anger.

research outpost, Vinlil Prime: March 1st, 2570.

Governor Tarva's visit to the research outpost was intended to last half a day. At her request, Cheln, the other diplomatic advisor, had crafted a speech to show solidarity with the UN. The whole afternoon was a joint ceremony in remembrance of the humans who sacrificed their lives in the Venlil defense.

At the end of the ceremony, the predators who had participated in their first civilian encounter would depart. The volunteers of "Doctors Without Borders" and "The Red Cross" would board the initial outbound ship, accompanied by their Venlil partners. It was time for humans to receive a proper integration into Venlil society, meaning a move planetside.

That was a less concerning prospect than it would've been before the experiments. There were zero reports of human-on-Venlil violence during the past 10 days. Most of the complaints against the Terrans involved the predators trying to stroke Venlil's curly fur, a behavior they found bewildering. It wasn't something observed among humans, so it couldn't be written off as a social custom. Perhaps a display of possessiveness?

The trial of both species living together was a pleasant success, more so than any scientists predicted. The predators had an uncanny ability to bond with anything, forging close connections within days. Governor Tarva found himself considering Noah and Cutter as part of his in-group. A sentiment he never could've imagined when this all started.

"So they're alive. Do you think they'll have good news?" Cutter asked.

The ceremony came to an abrupt halt when General Kam informed the UN delegation of a pressing development. A Federation shuttle barged into Venlil territory, raising alarms. Its pilot claimed to be the missing patrolman Slanek, repeatedly stating that his human companion needed medical attention in a hysterical voice.

Governor Tarva would have kept it on the down low until they knew more, but Secretary-General Meier wanted everyone aware of the situation. He believed that if the change of plans wasn't explained, rumors would spread that the Arxur were attacking.

The UN leader's presence was unexpected. They had never met in person or spoken beyond video messages. It seemed when Ambassador Noah told him of Tarva's plans, he wished to attend the memorial firsthand.

Many humans flocked to the docking port as the news dispersed; everyone on the station was eager to welcome the arrivals. The crowd numbered several hundred, once Venlil were added to the count. Terran paramedics were on stand-by, and the media were swarming to report any developments.

Governor Tarva knew that the predators wanted to see the state of the captives, trying to decide if the Federation was an enemy. In the wake of the shocking admission, they wanted to know if co-existence was even possible. This was a good sign, as it indicated that the Federation military might be civilized enough to hear a predator out and set it free.

"I'm hopeful, guys." Governor Tarva swished her tail reassuringly. "If the Federation let your 'Marcel' fellow go, maybe I was wrong. Maybe they can see you for the sensitive and wonderful species you really are."

"I greenlit the plan for a pre-emptive strike three days ago." Meier's voice was slow and gravelly, flowing with a practiced cadence. "The generals suggested that we needed to hit the key Gojid launch points. I have no way of recalling our bombers, even if I want to."

"Damn it all!" Noah cursed. "I knew we were too hasty. The Federation will see this as an unprovoked attack. We're going to ruin all chances of peace."

Governor Tarva patted the Ambassador on the shoulder, hoping to quell his emotions. Noah's brown eyes softened, and he gave a appreciative nod. There was no sense in lamenting what was already set in stone. All they could do now was address the consequences together.