Chapter 17: A hidden Past

Axur cattle Ship. April 6, 2570

Resounding shouts coursed through the air as the humans rounded on the unarmed enemy. Most were some variant of a demand to lie on the ground. There was no question that this was an Arxur surrender; they were complying with the barked orders and cuffing themselves without any clear trickery. There was no snarling or sudden movements either.

Perhaps this inexplicable behavior was because humans earned respect, by whatever their twisted standards were. The human's bellowing voices shook Sovlin to the core and left no room for debate. Scaring the boarders away with bloodied fangs and piercing eyes hadn't been a viable tactic, for a change.

All the same, Sovlin didn't think the reptilians were capable of submission. The Federation never managed to capture a predator, or reason with them. Appealing to mercy was an exercise in futility; amusement seemed to be the only motive they needed to destroy worlds. Accepting the Terrans as thinking people was one thing, but the Arxur were clear-cut in their villainy. or so it may seem.

"I wonder what Captain Monahan will do with the prisoners," Sovlin muttered.

Samantha offered a non-committal shrug. "Not my call."

"Not mine either, and that's probably a good thing." Carlos bounded up to them, raising his goggles. "We're going to have some guys make sure they sit nice and pretty for now. Probably sedate them, take them as prisoners."

"But if it was your call, what would you do?" Sovlin asked.

"I'd put them in the cattle pens. Right where they belong," he growled, a malicious gleam in his eyes. "I wonder if the grays would taste like gator. Or maybe they'd make a good pair of boots."

The bold-faced talk of eating another sentient left Sovlin taken aback. It wasn't something he thought humankind would contemplate, even for those monsters. He understood what Carlos was saying, though; that schadenfreude was something they had in common. The guard's statement was pushing it a little far, but Sovlin was happy he was being more open with him.

Maybe Carlos is grateful I saved his life. He seems more friendly toward me.

Sovlin's eyes studied the Arxur prisoners. "But they would still look hideous as boots. Also, I wouldn't want my paws touching their skin; how defiling."

"Well then, what would you do with them, Sovlin?"

As much as Sovlin would love to see the grays get a full dose of their own medicine, the stakes were too high. The intelligence a strong-willed military could extract was invaluable. If they could stop the cradle's fate from befalling another world, that was worth keeping these Arxur alive for a bit.

Besides, they deserved more suffering than a quick execution. Scientific studies of their pain tolerance and responses could offer interesting results.

Sovlin's lip curled up in disgust. "I would inflict as much agony as I could. And once I had no use for it, I would blow its brain out."

"You already knew the answer to that, Carlos," Samantha hissed. "Remember why he's here? You two have fun with your...chat."

Sovlin lowered his gaze, watching the female guard stalk off. It hadn't occurred to him that he described verbatim what he had done to the first Terran soldier he found. After recognizing the parallel, Carlos would surely lose interest in speaking with him. It confused him why he didn't lope after her, but a part of him still hoped they could make progress.

"I am sorry. The irony is, somehow, I think you might be the only species who could understand why I did...that," Sovlin sighed.

Carlos crossed his arms, a conflicted glint in his eyes. "I understand why, if we were the Arxur. But you didn't even consider or research Marcel Fraser's story. Nor did you listen to the Venlil that backed him up."