Devil's Juice

Lucifer's POV (continued)

They sat across from me for a while, not speaking, nor judging me. At least I don't think they were. They didn't seem to pity me either, which was good. I hate being pitied.

I enjoyed glass after glass of the sweet alcohol, it was my favorite. I didn't even have to ask for them to refill it, they just did. They didn't let me hold the bottle though, probably because they thought I'd drink the whole thing at once. Which I would have.

I didn't notice nor did I care that the time was ticking by, I was just laying there in the quiet with Y/N. I asked their name after my 4th or 5th glass, and then again after my 7th. They didn't seem bothered though, they just answered quietly. They didn't continue the conversation either, they seemed at a loss for words.

It was probably pretty freaky for them if I'm being completely honest. Bartending for me isn't a job for many sinners. Most of them are terrified of me, of my wrath. Most sinners would probably shit their pants before they got my order correct. My people aren't always the brightest. In fact, I don't tend to like many of them. I don't like what they did with my realm. I gifted them free will, and they turned it into a murderous, wretched place. I wish I could have started over. Maybe I should have my own Noah's Ark scenario. If I did, I'd flood all of hell with lava. Hah, that'd be a sight to see. I'd never really do it though, not everyone deserves that. The people who come to the hotel don't deserve that, and who knows how many others want to come here but can't.

Plus I think Charlie would kill me if I killed all our people. She would be a good ruler if I was gone though, maybe it'd be better for her. Maybe it'd be better for this realm. Maybe the sinners would actually take her seriously. Maybe she'd be a better Ruler than I've ever been. Maybe..

"Fuck."

I was distracted by the sound of my glass crashing to the ground and the sound of Y/N swearing under their breath. I hadn't noticed I stopped drinking, I hadn't noticed it was the last of the bottle either. I was shaken when I felt the weight on the couch shift, as Y/N got up. I was shocked when they came to help me.

I guess they took the glass falling as a sign that I was done. Truly, I could have kept drinking for hours. I didn't feel drunk. Not until I stood up. I was hit with a massive head rush almost immediately, and was prepared to hit the ground hard. But for the first time in a long while, someone was there to help me.

I had been getting shit-faced for years by myself at this point. I hadn't had a helping hand since, hell I don't even remember. Y/N helped me regain my balance, they stopped me from falling which probably wasn't all that easy either. They helped me walk to the elevator, which I refused to enter, and happily broke in order to get my way. I really hate elevators. If I could have chosen, there wouldn't have been any at all in this building. But Charlie said it would have been bad for business to have the sinners take the stairs all the time. She's right, she's always had that eye for business. She's smart like that.

We went up the stairs slowly, Y/N basically having to push my sorry ass up each one. I couldn't help my mental shame spiral. I couldn't stop feeling sorry for myself, I couldn't stop feeling useless. I felt even worse than when I came here.

We made it all the way up to my room on the sixth floor. They helped me to my bed, almost tucking me into the sheets in a way. They propped my pillow up gently and had me lay on my side. No one had ever cared for me so gently. It really made me wonder who they were, why they were banished to my realm. No one this good deserves to be here.

I heard them shuffle around for a minute before opening the door again. I kind of wanted them to stay, but I wouldn't ever dare ask a mortal soul to stay with me. It was late and I knew they had a shift in the morning. I can't believe they sacrificed their sleep for me. All I did was thank them quietly, not receiving an answer. I didn't even know if they heard me.

It was kind of sad how cared-for they made me feel by doing literally the bare minimum. All they did was be nice to me for a few hours and help me to bed. It made me feel so deprived of kindness that I never even knew I was missing. I had missed it so much. I wondered how I had even bared it. I wonder now how I'll bare it. I feel worse than I ever have before.

I, the King of Hell, broke down. I cried. I hadn't cried for centuries, but tonight I sobbed like a child. It was embarrassing and I'm glad no one saw it. I spiraled, I didn't sleep. I curled up into my blankets and squeezed my pillow tight. I had so much pent up despair that I didn't even know about. I cried. I couldn't believe it.

I didn't come out of my blanket cocoon until much later. It was day, and it was too hot to be wrapped up like that. I didn't want to go downstairs though. I hoped no one would come up here either. I needed to be alone. I needed to sit with my thoughts. I needed to process what happened, but I couldn't. I couldn't sit there and think to myself that It wasn't normal to block out emotion until it was literally unbearable. I didn't want anything to be wrong.

I got up, after debating to so for a while. I went to the bathroom attached to my room and looked myself in the mirror. I looked like shit. I looked like shit yesterday as well, but I hadn't seen myself look this bad in a long time.

My eyes were reddened and puffy. My lips were chapped and red as well. I noticed I had dark circles under my eyes. I could barely hold my head up. I was tired, and needed to eat. I was probably dehydrated from all the liquor as well. I needed to go downstairs.

No. I needed room service.

1120 Words