I

Many went to Inkopolis city as a means of starting a new life, a way to make it fresh. For you, however, it was a means of escape. Specifically from what awaited you back home.

You took your first step into Inkopolis square, relishing the cool, fresh air that entered your lungs. You exhaled sharply, walking deeper into the square and taking in the sights. It certainly was exactly as your friends from home had described it: bustling with life. Your trek through the square led you to the storefront of Ammo knights, where you placed your hand against the glass and peered through, examining the weaponry the store owner was showing off to another customer, unaware of your presence.

You could feel your finger twitch as the horseshoe crab handed the inkling a sleek looking roller. You shook your head and stepped back from the glass, attempting to calm yourself. To say you were a weapons geek would be an understatement of the century. Back home, you had amassed quite a collection of gear, all which you unfortunately couldn't bring with you.

It was only by staring at the store's stock a few seconds longer that you noticed something in the reflection of the glass, or rather, the lack of something. You turned around, tilting your head in confusion.

Wasn't the great zapfish supposed to be here?

A giant jumbo-sized television above the square, showcasing a small inkling with a crown and a white jacket and a rather tall...weird looking inkling that bore a crop top and a pair of headphones.

"Yall know what time it is!"

"It's Off the Hook, coming to you LIVE from Inkopolis square!"

You hummed to yourself in thought, observing the two as they announced the current stages for turf war. You didn't know much about the famous idols of Inkopolis, but you had a few friends back home who were big fans, and you were surprised to see these two announcing the news. Last you heard, the squid sisters were the ones who did that. What happened to them if Off the Hook had taken their place?

"Uh, why is our producer freaking out? Read the teleprompter, Marina!"

Marina, huh? Your eyes were locked onto her, and a growing itch in the back of your mind became just too prominent to ignore. She looked...familiar. Not in the sense that you met her before, but just the way she looked reminded you of something. After a second or two of deep thinking, the answer hit you like a charged E-Liter shot.

Marina was a fucking octoling.

You tried your best to stay collected, but your mind was running in circles, panicking. What was an Octoling doing in the city? And did everyone know? Why didn't they care?

"This just in! The Great Zapfish has...disappeared!?"

"Wait, like, for reals?! I feel like I've heard this story somewhere before..."

You did too. Two years ago, The Great Zapfish had mysteriously disappeared from Inkopolis, and even more mysteriously had suddenly returned. You always wondered what exactly happened in the time span the Zapfish was gone, but you had heard rumours back home that the Octarians had something to do with it.

"There's more! Popstar Callie of the Squid Sisters has gone missing!"

Ah, that explains what happened to the squid sisters. Or at least, half of them. You began tuning out whatever else Off the Hook was talking about, but you couldn't help but stare at Marina. An Octoling was here in the city, and judging by how nobody was really reacting, you decided that everyone either knew, or didn't care, which if the answer was the latter, astounded you. Did they not know how dangerous Octolings were?

The jumbo-television turned off, and the crowd of Inklings that had gathered begun to disperse, leaving you to your thoughts. In all honesty, your first day in the city wasn't proving to be going well. Day one and the city's main power source is gone, along with one of the biggest celebrities in Inkling kind. Not to mention that Marina of Off the Hook was an Octoling. It was just one problem after another.