6. {Undercover Mission}

The morning meeting proceeds as usual, with the Avengers gathered around the conference table, discussing the day's agenda. You and Bucky sit opposite each other, exchanging subtle smirks and knowing glances, remnants of the ongoing battle that has defined your unorthodox friendship for weeks.

As Tony Stark announces the latest mission, your heart skips a beat. You and Bucky paired up again, for the first time in a long while, but this time for a short notice assignment to gather intel. The other Avengers have their own duties, leaving just the two of you to tackle this mission together.

Your mind races with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. Excitement for the opportunity to work closely with Bucky, to feel that electrifying connection between you once more. Apprehension of the potential complications it could bring, especially considering the fragile balance of your newfound relationship.

Bucky's eyes meet yours across the table, and you can see the flicker of uncertainty mirrored in his gaze. The tension between you is apparent, a silent acknowledgment of the unspoken desires that simmer beneath the surface.

Tony's voice cuts through your reverie, bringing you back to the present. "You and Barnes are on this one," he says, his tone matter-of-fact. "It's a quick in-and-out job. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days."

"Oh, I'm absolutely certain it'll be a quick in-and-out job," Natasha quips from her corner of the room, breaking her prolonged silence. Her remark immediately commands everyone's attention, prompting you to shoot her a cautionary look, while Bucky nearly chokes on his breath in reaction to her unexpected comment.

Tony appears thoroughly perplexed, while Sam Wilson tilts his head towards Bucky, his mind clearly processing Natasha's words, yet he chooses to remain silent, observing both of you intently.

"Please, go on, Tony," you assert after a brief pause, directing a pointed glare at Natasha, who only smirks back at you, earning a nudge from Clint. It's uncertain whether it's to prompt her to cease or to elaborate. Regardless, Tony shakes his head and continues as you requested.

Tony clears his throat, trying to regain control of the situation. "Right," he says, regaining his composure. "So, here's the deal. We've got some intel suggesting that there's a bigwig attending a fancy event tonight on the west side. This guy's got his fingers in a lot of pies, if you catch my drift."

Your eyes shoot a warning glance at Natasha, silently urging her to refrain from making another suggestive comment following Tony's unfortunate words. She meets your gaze with tightly pressed lips, clearly struggling to stifle her amusement. When you glance at Bucky, you notice him pinching the bridge of his nose, fully comprehending Natasha's understanding of the underlying situation between you both. You swear you catch him muttering something akin to "Christ."

"What is going on here?" Tony's attention is once again diverted by the peculiar exchanges between the three of you. This time, Sam internally groans, his patience wearing thin as the meeting is interrupted yet again.

"Nothing." You respond quickly back, your head snapping back over to Tony, and he rolls his eyes before continuing, not bothering to question it further.

"Your job is to get in there, blend in with the high society types, and get close enough to this guy to gather some intel. We're talking about manipulating information, finding out what he knows, who he's connected to, and what he's planning." He explains the mission to you both and you nod in understanding, purposely ignoring everyone else in the room and focusing only on Stark. 

Tony leans back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest. "Now, I've arranged for some cover identities and access to the event. You two will need to play your parts convincingly. We don't want any slip-ups."