Prologue

Fate has a funny way of surprising you. Natsuo first learned this when he was old enough to use his quirk. The second time was when Touya's sanity started declining.

Then Shoto got burned.

That's when he learned the hard way that fate doesn't play fair. Which brings us to him hiding in the woods around the Todoroki mansion, bawling his eyes out. In his defense, he's only nine. Do you really expect a nine year old to take so much trauma well?

No one ever goes back there, so it was a great place to hide from his father. The man didn't exactly take kindly to weakness.

"Hey!"

Natsuo jolted at the sudden noise, thinking it was his father. Though, upon closer inspection, that was definitely not the case. In front of him was a child no older than him, which light brown skin, emerald green eyes, and bright green, cloud-like hair, that was darted with teal colored gemstones. He had on oversized brown hoodie on, and was grinning as if he had heard a good joke.

"Hello? Are you there? You look like you've seen a ghost!", he said, gazing at Natsuo.

Gingerly and cautious, Natsuo picked himself up from the ground. So far, the stranger didn't seem to be a threat.

"I- I'm fine." Natsuo declared.

The boy tilted his head slightly before saying, "Are you sure? You look like up dog."

The white and red haired boy gained a confused look. What was "up dog"? When he asked his question, the green haired boy giggled.

"Not much! What's up with you?", he answered.

He then bursts into a fit of laughter as he clutched his rib cage. Natsuo's face seemed to remain in a confused state before it finally clicked. He too then burst into laughter. The two boys laughed uncontrollably, their faces coated in smiles.

After a while, Natsuo said, "Thanks, I needed that."

The green haired boy smiled before saying, "No problem! If I'm going to be a hero one day, I need to be able to cheer people up when they're sad!"

Natsuo became more nervous after that. Heroes weren't very nice, based on what he knew of his father.

His thoughts were interrupted when the boy said, "I'm Kanji! Kanji Kinushi!"

Natsuo stared down at the boy's hand. His name was Kinushi huh?

Natsuo grabbed his hand before saying, "I'm Natsuo. Natsuo Todoroki. But, just Natsuo is fine."

Kinushi giggled softly, causing the crystals in his hair to grow slightly. A loud voice disturbed their peace, the noise causing Natsuo to flinch. Kinushi noticed this and looked around. He then looked at the ground. Then at  Natsuo. Then at the tree behind him. The grin that spread across his face could only be described as "devilish".

"W- why are you smiling? And why do I have a bad feeling? Kinushi, what are you gonna-"

Before he could get the words out of his mouth, Kinushi grabbed him, created a pillar of teal crystals under their feet, and sent them into the air. Needless to say, the two had very different screams.

(Kanji Kinushi

Quirk: Crystal

The gemstones he creates are strong enough to real and bend steel! He can shape and form them in any way to be used for a variety of ways!)

A large man stormed into the open, steam seeping off of his body.

His red hair seemed to convey his anger as he yelled, "Natsuo! Come here, NOW!"

At the sound of his father's voice, Natsuo shook uncontrollably. Kinushi's face contorted into a grimace as he turned to his friend.

"Stay here, I have a plan.", he said, before walking onto the branch above Endeavor.

From below, Enji Todoroki was turning his head in every direction.

"Y'know the one thing heroes never do?"

Enji looked up at the source of the voice, only for a wave of teal crystals to cover his eyes. He stumbled backward, only to fall onto his back.

"They never look up!" Kinushi finished.

Natsuo jumped down from the tree before saying, "What did you do?! I'm going to be in so much trouble!"

Kinushi laughed hysterically before grabbing Natsuo's wrist.

"Not if we don't get caught! RUN!"

And that's how two young boys ended up hiding under Endeavor's front porch. As the two giggled about their daring escape, Kinushi's smile dimmed.

"I'm sorry, but I kinda got to go.", he said.

Natsuo nodded in understanding. He himself had siblings to get back to.

"Okay. Thanks for helping me with my dad.", the red and white haired boy said.

As he walked away, he asked, "What's your hero name gonna be?"

Kinushi smiled brightly, before pointing a thumb to his chest.

"I'm gonna be The Crystal Hero: ShardBound!"

(A/N: Hi! This is my first time doing a MHA story, so bear with me! Until then, happy reading!)