"The star that shines the brightest"

Nosaka Yuuma's POV
-------------------------

He just left me alone with Mikado all of a sudden.
I don't understand what happened to him in the space of a few seconds, or why he was pretending to be fine. By now I know when Ichihoshi Hikaru is lying.

I was about to kiss him. I was almost losing control, I'm sure.I would have kissed him and taken all the consequences, at that moment it didn't seem to matter.

I would simply like to chase him again, even just a few more seconds with him would be better for me than feeling alone in a room without his presence. But apparently he really wanted to look fine and I didn't want to ruin his facade, it would probably just make him uncomfortable now. I'll talk to him about it later.

My thoughts are interrupted by a female voice "Hey Nosaka-san, what happened to him? And are you sure you are ok?"

I realize I'm still with Mikado in the room and try to mask my worry and turn to face her "Oh nothing, really. he is just a little bit upset by the match, it's all. Anyway I'm fine, thanks for asking" I smile at her hoping she would believe me.

She seems to have fallen for my charade because she smiles back "I'm glad you two are both fine!It would have been a shame to see you sad, remember that today we will finally see each other again with everyone else!"

I forgot that today we had all decided to go out together. It was more precisely an outing among the players who participated in the World Cup, as a sort of reunion. it's true that we can see each other during the tournament, but it's not exactly the same thing.

Mikado was fixing her hair "It's true that I see you often, but I haven't had a chat with the others in a while, I can't wait!How annoying, I think my bangs have grown too much, I hate looking messy. What do you think Nosaka-san?"

She had a slightly embarrassed but determined expression as she asked me this question, as if she was expecting something. It's true, Mikado Anna is objectively a beautiful girl, but she has never aroused anything particular in me. I wasn't sure how to respond.

I smile a little "Your bangs look fine, you don't look messy don't worry." I try to reassure her the best I can, don't knowing what to say

She looks a little dissapointed but she covers that up "O-oh, yeah, thanks nosaka-san." she tries to smile.

My mind goes back to Hikaru, to his angelic face and his midnight blue hair, his smile that could make anyone melt. I didn't care about others when I had the brightest star of all in front of me. At least I knew he hadn't gone anywhere alone, I was pretty sure he really had gone to our teammates.

My mind was wandering when I was in the company of someone but luckily I come back to reality when I smell a sweet smell, I sniff trying to figure out what it is "I smell something sweet, are you involved by any chance?"

I realize that might have come across as flirting, and I want to bang my head against the wall.

Mikado blushes "Y-yeah well, In some way yes, I baked something for tonight! The smell is watermelon, cause you know..I know you like it..not that I care THAT much, I just thought..why not"

It's moments like this that make me realize Mikado might be interested in me, But I don't want to ruin the atmosphere of friendship that exists between her and my team and everyone else too. Sometimes I wish she would just understand that I don't reciprocate, if that were really the case.

"I see, thanks." I smile slightly but can't wait to get out of the room "I think we should get together with the others, don't you think that's a good idea?”

She just nods but doesn't seem to happy "Y-yeah, let's go."

I really feel sorry sometimes, and I know that sooner or later if she confessed, I would have to give her a specific answer. And I tried to rediscover love thanks to her, who showed me in more ways than one that she was there for me. But my heart can't belong to anyone else but Hikaru, and I already want to be reunited with him as quickly as possible.