Chapter Eight- Fortuitous Events

Yet another morning dawned on him. Umbra sat at his desk, staring at the hard cover writing notebook he was using as a scrapbook with a tiny glare, staring at an empty section of the book he was flipping through. He shook his head as he leaned back in his chair. His hands went to his face, brushing over his eyes. He couldn't understand why this was suddenly stressing him out. Maybe it was something else on his mind. Maybe pasting these memories wasn't the only thing there.

He took a glance toward the doorway of his room. He figured that was it. The exam. Focusing even on these memories couldn't kill his anxiety. There was more at stake than just his pride. The image everyone had of him would change if he failed. He would be seen as unworthy, maybe even worse. His father was a very stern man, of high expectation. So...

He groaned as he shook his thoughts away. He should just get up and go. It was almost time. Time for the Mark of Mastery. The test to achieve the title of Master. Umbra only sighed heavily before laying his head on his scrapbook. He just couldn't get it out of his head. The crushing expectations he would pass. Everyone said he and the others would the other night. He wasn't so sure.

"Umbra?" Spoke the voice of Ori as he peeked into the room, his ice blue hair vibrant against the bright lights in the blonde's room. Umbra was quick to turn his attention, tilting his head at the prince. He figured he knew what he was here for.

The blonde was quick to shut his scrapbook, picking it up from his desk and moving to stand. "I'm coming." His voice was softer than he intended when he spoke.

To his surprise, Ori shook his head in response to the other man. "We have a few minutes before the exam." He pointed out with a glance to the hall before he leaned against the doorway wall. He glanced at one of his hands, brushing two of his fingers together as if pinching small grains of salt.

Umbra paused in walking. They had a couple more minutes. He nodded slowly before his eyes drifted to the sight of Ori's hand. He often did that when he was annoyed. Umbra tilted his head slightly, wondering why this time. Then again, Ori was always annoyed or irritated. He was especially today, however. Was he anxious too, maybe? Ori never liked showing things like anxiety so that was a possibility. Umbra wasn't going to ask though. Umbra liked to keep things as simple and as calm as possible, if possible.

The blonde hummed to himself as he pulled his scrapbook close to his chest. Maybe he should scrapbook the exam, no matter what unfolds. It was a memory with his friends and his family. That's why he made the scrapbook, to remember. He never wanted to forget the Land of Departure, or his family, friends. He dreamed of one day leaving the Land of Departure and seeing what freedom lay beyond it. Besides, he knew he could always come home. The stars would guide him back. He gripped his scrapbook tighter.

Despite his thoughts, he couldn't help but get a bad feeling.

"Umbra." Ori's voice spoke up to catch the blonde's attention again. The man glanced up to the prince again with a tiny blink, Ori's response was a roll of his eyes. He sighed before he mumbled, "Best of luck to you." He spoke before he walked off the wall, leaving the room.

Umbra would be lying if he said Ori's words didn't make him jump back physically. Ori wished him luck? Why? Umbra found that unlike him. Ori almost never wished him good luck, on anything. And when he did he was usually mocking. Maybe he could sense Umbra's anxiety. It wasn't like he was trying to hide it. Still...that was really sweet of Ori. Maybe he should thank him later.

Umbra smiled softly to himself as he left his room. He wouldn't say he was prepared for the exam but he had a bit more confidence within him.

{<><><><><><><><><><>}