Chapter Thirty-One

I smiled widely and nervously glanced down at my arms. They were still pale and bare. My skin tingled and I felt like I had just bathed in gold. My logical part of my mind laughed at my emotions.

I was glowing.

"Hey," I hear Ian's voice. His hand lands softly on my back, and I look back to see his hair messy and a lazy smile on his face.

"Good mornin," I say, bravely leaning in for a kiss. He welcomes the gesture with his lips, and I giggle against them after only a few seconds of kissing.

"Last night was..." He trails off, his eyes sparkling with happiness from the memory. "It was incredible."

"To be clear," I start, glancing down at the satin sheets. "You were incredible."

"Which time?" He asks, sitting up more and leaning forward.

"All of them." I answer with a blush creeping up on my cheeks.

"The first time?" He proceeds to ask. I nod. "What about the second, or third, or fourth?"

"Perfect." I say, bravely meeting his gaze. "And I'm sure it'll be even better the fifth time." He seems to get the hint and brings his hand to my face. He brushes over it lightly, grazing my lips with his thumb and travels down to my shoulder and arm. My skin tingles at his touch.

"You know, I love you." He says softly, his lips brushing against my ear. My eyes falter at his nearness and the heat radiating from him.

"I love you too, Ian." I whisper as he seizes my neck with his lips, drawing a gasp out of me.

"Rain, wake up!" I'm pulled from my dream in an instant as Naoma screams in my face. I instantly scowl, pissed that my only moment of happiness was destroyed because of her.

"Go away." I mumble, curling up into a ball.

"Get up, Rain. We don't have all day to sleep. We still have hell to get through, literally."

"I don't want to go." I sigh. "I don't want to do anything. Just let me sleep for another hour."

"And have wet dreams about Ian?" She deadpans and my eyes snap open. "You were mumbling 'I love you's' and such-"

"Go away." I snap.

"Plus, our minds are linked. So, I basically had front row seats to that whole thing. Four times, Rain, are you serious? Are you that deprived?"

"Shut up. You haven't had Josh for over two years." I fire back.

"It's Julius. And at least I've had him. You're still a virgin. Poor thing." Naoma fake pouts.

"I'm not technically a virgin though, Naoma." I remind her and her face drops. I can literally feel the regret coming from her.

"That's right. I'm sorry, Rain. I forgot. I was just trying to be a smart-ass-"

"Hey, it's okay. Look, I'm awake now, so what's up? What's the plan for today?" I ask.

"Well, hopefully we can get out of here before one of us goes into another hallucinogenic state. Also, I think real brain damage can be done by staying here too long. Eventually, our minds will get tired of being tricked by either demonic spirits or just the illusion of this forest itself." Naoma explains.

"And then what?" I sit up on my elbows, my eyes squinting and hand raising to block a stray ray of sunlight.

"Then we lose our minds." Naoma shrugs and stands. "That will happen in less than twenty-four hours for you. The rest of us have, eh, maybe thirty minutes to an hour more than you do."