Chapter Eight

Unedited. [Sorry for the grammar mistakes. Anyways Enjoy.]

__________________________________

I can't move. The only thing that I can do is think. The thoughts dominate my mind, captivating me in this beautiful loft. Rita is the only reason why I'm still here. She convinced me not to go to the palace, claimed she had a feeling about it. Maybe she's right; maybe I am being a little paranoid, but being paranoid will keep me safe. Being paranoid will ensure Rita's and my survival.

So, here I sit, silent and still. The raging battle inside my mind is completely opposite, though, making as much noise as it possibly can. I want to scream because I'm frustrated, tired, and confused. I'm always left in the dark, left to walk blindly into a trap. I feel like my whole life has been a battle. From the moment Rita was born, I was always trying to hurt her, yet here I am doing everything in my power to protect her. I don't remember ever trying to hurt her, but I know I have; I can feel it. But that wasn't my biggest problem. My biggest problem revolved around the person who was supposed to be my father, the one who abandoned us when I was six and appeared again- a different man- when I was fourteen. He did us no good, and I don't think I can ever forgive my mother for accepting him back into our lives.

I fight for good. It's a spoken thought, a fact, an opinion maybe? There's no way I can be sure, but that's what I've come to believe. My goal here was to help myself, help Rita, and help others. Rita has a problem, but she's still my sister. I can fix her with Ian's help, I have no doubt. I can also help myself by gaining knowledge in my own powers. I will be able to protect myself with Ian's help. Then- if all goes well- I will be able to help others. The people who are trying to harm Ian's family and the people of this underground community need to be stopped. Somehow, I must be powerful. I could save others if I trust Ian.

So, maybe, Rita is right. Maybe I should stay, train, and live down here. I've viewed both paths, weighed the pros and cons of the situation, and I've come to a conclusion. I will trust Ian, and if I trust Ian like he wants me to, he will help me in return. It's my only option, and I should've seen it like this a long time ago. I have nowhere else to go.

"She's not talking or moving." I hear Rita's voice talking and the slamming of a door. I know Ian is back, and I'm not upset with him like Rita is making it seem. I just needed some time- time to think and sort some things out.

"This is all my fault." I recognize Ian's voice and I stand. I'm more than willing to talk to Ian, but I would like to avoid Rita's presence.

Being around her isn't safe. I don't trust myself and I don't trust her. It just seems that, now, we're opposites. We're sisters, a bond that cannot be broken, but whatever's inside of her is turning her against me. We're like magnates, and we are alike, made from similar things, but we cannot touch.

"Ian, I'm fine." I speak to him as he enters the room and Rita is standing off to the side, her face going blank.

"Yeah, you are now." He says and approaches me. He reaches his hand out to grab my arm and I pull away.

"So, what happened?" I ask him, dismissing his previous action. I'm okay, but I don't want to come in contact with anybody right now. Don't ask why; it's just a gut-feeling.

"Nothing, it was a false alarm." He says curtly and I back away from him. I know I'm being difficult and extremely distant, but it's for his own good.

"What about that girl? What ever happened to her?" I ask in an accusing tone and Ian narrows his eyes at me.

"I have no knowledge of what they did to h-"

"Who are 'they'? Dammit, Ian, you're expecting me to go through with this and it's excruciating because I feel like I'm being set-up." I raise my voice and Ian tenses.