Chapter Fourteen

Unedited. Please Enjoy. Forgive me for any grammar mistakes.

_______________________________

"You could at least explain to me why you're in such an angry rush." I hiss at Ian as he drags me out the house.

"And you could explain to me why you purposely find ways to piss me off." He hisses back as we reach the car. I turn around to see Josh and Nick talking to one of the people who was with Ian and I'm glad that things aren't turning violent like I'd anticipated.

"How do you two know each other?" I ask simply.

"Are you really going to question me right now?" He frowns as his voice raises.

"Uh, yeah. Is there a reason why I shouldn't? You haven't given me an answer to jack-squat since I met you so can you start, you know, attempting to act like a friend to me and telling the truth?" I watch as Ian's hands grip the steering wheel as the words spill from my mouth.

"So we're friends, huh?" His voice comes out quiet and thick with sarcasm. "And I haven't lied to you..ever," He says and I roll my eyes.

"No, you'd just rather be mute instead whenever I ask a question." My voice raises this time. "It's fine, though. Remain silent, it's cool. I'll just find out on my own," I say and Ian's eyes are on my face in seconds.

"If you go searching for answers, you're going to get yourself hurt or killed," He informs, his voice dark. I don't budge though. Danger and death doesn't intimidate me.

"I don't care," I admit. "I'm tired of living in the dark. My life would've been a lot more simple if I would've just stayed at home with my frail mom and addict father." I let the words fall from my mouth even though they're lies.

"You weren't going to stay at home. I know you think that all this is random, but I can assure you it's not." He pulled into the park's parking-lot. "Since you want the truth so badly, here's a little piece of it. You were being watched for a while, okay? Not by me, but people are out there. We waited for you to discover your powers before we recruited you. It's easier that way. When the society found out that you had a sister, they were jumping with joy. You don't get it, but you're a different kind of power. You're like gold in the batch of copper and silver. Rita... they thought she was platinum. Turns out, the girl is worse than antimatter," He says and I try to piece the puzzle together, but I'm confused. I get everything he said up until the Rita thing. Rita was their platinum, and now she's antimatter? What the hell does that mean?

"What does that-"

"I'll eventually tell you everything, but for the sake of your life, Rita's, and mine, it's best if we shut our damn mouths while in the underground," He looks at me and I nod in understanding as he opens the vault. "Ladies first," He says and I roll my eyes before climbing into the tiny space.

**

We're walking in what feels like slow motion when my eyes settle on two large men running toward us. I can already tell by their facial expressions that something is wrong. But something else is off. I can feel their panic. Both of their panic is rising in me, along with Ian's anxiousness. I can feel all their emotions, or so it seems, and I'm sure that now I've completely lost my mind.

"She's escaped." The one guy with black hair yells and Ian's eyes widen.

"When? Take her to the loft. We have to find her." The large guy with ice blonde hair grabs my arm and I pull away so fast, I actually get loose.

"Who's missing? I need to know what's going on? Is something wrong with Rita?" I yell to Ian but he's too busy talking to the other guy who runs off after he's finished speaking.