Chapter 11: Where There Are No Clouds

The Day of the Starsending ceremony...

In the Headmage's office, everyone is having a meeting about the ceremony tonight.

Grim says, "I see a big, whale-shaped cloud in the distance, but it's clear as day 'round here."

"Yeah. Doesn't look like we'll have any trouble holding the ceremony. Right, Headmage?" Trey responds.

"Hmm..." Crowley thinks.

"Don't you agree, sir?" Deuce asks, "We believed the weather would clear, AND we kept practicing!"

"You certainly did, but cast your eyes outside! Distant or not, there are massive storm clouds heading our way! It's only a matter of time before they reach us. To ignore this fact and hold the ceremony would be..." Crowley says.

Suddenly, he hears a phone call, "What's this? A phone call...from an unknown number?" and with that, Crowley answers the phone call.

And begins talking on the phone, "Hello? ...Yes? Idia Shroud? I never gave you this number. How did you...hm? The ceremony? The rest of your group and I were just discussing whether or not to cancel it, actually... Yes... Mmhm... I beg your pardon?! You can't just DO that! Wait! Idia Shroud, don't you dare—" And suddenly, the line is cut off, "...He hung up."

"Idia call you on the phone?" Briar says, confused.

Then Deuce asks, "What'd he say?"

"He demanded we go ahead with the ceremony, and said not to worry about the weather. He also informed me that he remotely accessed my PC and sent an email to the press," Crowley answers, "The email said, 'This ceremony will proceed as planned. We eagerly await your visit to our school.' It appears my hands have been tied. We've no alternative but to move forward with the ceremony! Goodness, what a quagmire!"

The group soon looks at each other with confused expressions.

"Idia wants to continue with the ceremony?" Tanzanite says, confused.

"What is he up to?" Jasper wonders

Later that night...

The entire student body and staff arrive at the Ancient Trey, waiting for the performance to take place.

Cater asks, "Are Trey and Deucey holding up okay? I can't really see 'em from back here."

"If I know Deuce—and I think I do by now—he's gonna be so freaked out he's frozen stiff," Ace says.

"I hope Briar will be okay out there?" Sereia asks, worried.

"Ï'm sure Briar will be alright," Grim says.

In front of the crowd.

Deuce says, sounding a bit nervous, "This...this is it. Do you think we can pull the dance off?"

"Don't let your nerves get the best of you, Deuce. Try to relax your shoulders. We practiced a ton for this. But none of that will matter if you're scared stiff," Trey says.

"Clover's right, you know. I should inform you the reporters have arrived to cover the event. PLEASE do not disgrace us," Crowley says.

"Yessir!" Deuce says.

Briar looks around, "I wonder where Idia is. He said he be here."

"You are correct, Briar. Where might Idia Shroud be?" Crowley questions.

"Looks like he's running late," Trey answers.

"Oh dear. Surely he wouldn't bow out at this juncture?" Crowley asks.