Bonus Chapter 6: Diasomnia Wishes

Malleus:

In Malleus' room...

Malleus says, "Here is my wish: I wish for Roaring Drago to make a friend."

And his wishing star glows.

Idia is surprised, "YOOO. I was not expecting Malleus to namedrop a retro digital pet game!

"Huh, I've never heard of this game," Ortho says and looks at his date, "Looking up Roaring Drago online..." and soon finds it, "Ah, found it. It's a small handheld game device in which you raise a dragon from an egg, correct?"

"That's the one," Idia says, "A portable game on a keychain with a cheap LCD screen. Those things were everywhere when I was a kid," But soon realize, "Wait... Do you still play it, Malleus?"

"Yes. Lilia purchased it for me as a souvenir during one of his sojourns to another land," Malleus answers.

"That's very nice of him," Briar says.

In his thoughts, Idia is shocked, "This guy's the heir apparent of Briar Valley, famed as one of the most powerful mages in the world... And he's addicted to a kids' keychain game. ROFL. Amazing."

"I recently learned that one can use wireless communication to let Drago befriend others. But it requires another Drago to be present," Malleus says.

"Do you know anyone else who might play this game?" Ortho asks.

"No, no one," Malleus says.

"Yeah, that checks out," Idia says, "That fad died out over a decade ago. They don't even make 'em anymore."

"...I suppose simply wishing for Drago to make a friend won't actually give him one," Malleus says.

"Dude, why are you actin' all resigned?" Idia asks, "Everybody had these things when they were a kid. There are tons of them out there. I'm sure they're easy to find online. Ortho, look for them on online auction sites and stores that specialize in electronic toys. Used is fine, as long as it runs."

"Roger that," Ortho says.

Then Idia says, "A collector would want one new and unused, but for our purposes, all that matters is it works. In fact, with electronic toys, between battery leakage and plasticizers, opening the blister pack can actually delay the deterioration process."

"I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, but I am impressed with your loquacity today, Shroud," Malleus says.

Then Ortho says, "148 results. Displaying them now," And presents the data.

Idia snickers, "Whee hee hee! You see that? Scores of Roaring Dragos in full working order!"

"Truly? I'm not familiar with how payments online work, but...I'll pay. Could you put in an order for me?" Malleus says.

"Uh, sure, I guess..." Idia says and does just that, "There, done. You'll probably get it in the next few days."

"You have my gratitude, Shroud. You've done me a great service this day. I'll have to reward you once the order comes in," Malleus says.

"You granted his wish right on the spot! Nice going, Idia!" Ortho says.

"That was very nice of you," Briar says.

"Feels kinda patronizing to get so much praise for something so minor, NGL..." Idia says.

"Come on, we still got some wishes together," Briar says.

Then says, "Bye Mal."

"Goodbye, Briar. I'll see you during the Starsending Ceremony and to see your performance,," Malleus says.