9: Wyatt

I watch her walk out the front door. Something in me is waiting for her to look back, but she never does.

I can still feel her soft, gentle skin lingering on my fingertips, and my heartbeat still hasn't calmed since I had her in my grasp, just inches from my chest. Not to mention how seeing her in my clothes was doing something to me...

Stop. Why am I talking about her like she's the girl of my dreams? She definitely is not. I need to get it together. This isn't some romance novel.

I try to shake off whatever feeling it is that has crept its way into my body, and I walk down the hallway and back into the kitchen.

Jay and Alex are both still at the counter, looking at me expectantly. I notice Daisy and Lucy have left the kitchen, so I decide it's now safe to tell them what's going on.

"I can promise you guys, it's not what you think," I start, already reading their minds.

"So you're saying the way you were looking at her all morning has nothing to do with it?" Alex questions playfully before taking an obnoxiously loud slurp of his coffee.

"What are you talking about? I wasn't looking at her any differently than how I look at either of you. I don't give a shit about her," I retort, to which Alex and Jay both give me a 'really?' look.

"I don't," I say flatly, "And she only stayed over because that creep, Matteo, tried to pull some shit with her and drugged her. She passed out late last night at the venue and I didn't know where else to take her, so I took her here."

"Oh shit," Alex mutters under his breath, realizing the extremity of the situation and that it wasn't a stupid hook-up.

"Fucking pervert. Did you tell Jimmy? He should have been fired a long time ago," Jay responds.

"Yeah, I called him this morning before I came down. He's fired, and he is facing charges for multiple other assaults and drugging cases. Bastard," I say as I feel myself start to heat up again, rage coursing faster and faster through my veins.

"I hope he rots in hell. He deserves it," Jay adds.

"What a lovely way to start the morning," Alex mutters sarcastically before changing the subject, "But for someone you 'don't give a shit about you sure do seem to care about her..." He and Jay share a knowing look.

"Shut the fuck up, man. I don't care about her. I would have done that for anyone." Right?

"Sure, whatever," Jay pokes as he walks out of the kitchen before I can respond.

"You guys are reading into this too much," I tell Alex, "I'm going to go get Lucy ready for school. We aren't going to talk about this again, not when I get back or ever. I'm over it."

As I'm leaving I see Alex smile and shake his head knowingly, but I decide to let it go. Lucy  is my focus right now, and I can't let Alex and Jay tease me about a random girl that I'll probably never see again - despite how much I wish I could.

I'm walking around upstairs, looking for Lucy, when I hear faint mumbling coming from my bedroom. I enter curiously to find Lucy sitting on my bed, facing away from me with something in her hands.

I can't make out what it is from this angle, though.

"What are you doing in here, Lucy? Shouldn't you be getting ready for school?" I say, accidentally surprising her. She responds by hiding whatever she had behind her back and trying to scurry past me and out the door. Unfortunately for her, I know her all too well and was expecting her escape attempt. I grab her little belly and tickle her until she's squealing and giggling so hard that she gets distracted and drops what she was holding onto.