Chapter 2 - Lodging house

(Mush POV) *In the lodging house*

I see the door slowly creak open. I'm sitting on the floor playing cards with Romeo, Finch, Specs, Race and Elmer. I see long brown locks flow out of the door into our lodging house. Shortly after a small figure appears, the owner of the luscious locks. 'It's the waitress from da diner' I think. She walks over to us, obviously shaken.

"Do you fellahs know somewhere safe around here I can stay for the night?"

We obviously couldn't leave the poor goil on the streets and to be honest, I liked her. Ever since I saw her at the deli after the union was formed, I couldn't get her outta my head.

"Newsies assemble!" I shout as we fall into a circle with our arms around each others shoulders.

"We can't leave this goil out in the dark by herself, she's too small to survive." Romeo says.

"Hey, I heard that! I have brothers, Romeo!" I heard the petite goil state with confidence.

"How'd she know my name?" He chuckles to Finch, as we all hit him with our newsie boy caps.

After short discussion we decided to take her under our wing for da night.

"Alright, we will let you stay on the couch for as long as you need. You're safe with us now." Specs turns to her and says.

What brought this goil around these slums...?

(Y/N POV)

I look at the lumpy looking couch and sigh.

"Wow Race...not even going to give up your bed for meee?" I whine and look at the boy.

"Nope, nice try though" he winks flirtily back.

'Is it just me or is there something between us?' I think slyly to myself.

The newsies give me a few blankets and a wrap myself into a tiny burrito of warmth.

As they all say their good nights and get ready for bed I start to fall asleep. That is until a newsie comes up to me with a pillow in front of his face.

"Peekaboo" he says and uncovers his face. I recognize him, but not enough to know his name. He tries to get a laugh out of me but nothing comes out. Not after tonight.

"Da name's Mush. I've seen ya around the deli right? Ur Jacobi's daughter?"

I don't answer right away because I'm focusing on the way he towers over me and the way his blue orbs shine under the moonlight.

"Yeah he's my dad" I say with a slight smile.

"Well if you need another pillow I brought one just in case" the blue eyed boy says to me.

"Thanks for letting me stay here." I say.

As he goes to leave he says with a smirk, "Don't let dem sirens keep ya up at night."

As I begin to fall asleep, a sudden wave of realization crashes over me. How could Darcy do this to me? I start to cry silently. I had already bothered these boys with my problems enough, I couldn't burden them anymore. Besides, he was just a boy, I couldn't let him bother me that much! I vow to never fall this hard for a man again because I don't know if I can take it a second time. I slowly fall into a deep sleep.