Chapter 7 - Needle in a haystack

(Mush POV)

I see Race come walking out of the room. That was fast. He has a slight smirk on his face.

"Well, I gotta answer." He says

"WHAT DID SHE SAY" I say a little more loudly than I meant to. Everyone turns to look at me as I go pink.

"Let's just say she likes one of us..." he says with an arrogant smirk and sits down on the couch.

"That's it? That's all you're gonna tell me?" I ask, trying to get it out of him.

"Yup. It's for me to know and for you to find out."

I decide to drop the subject so I don't get pestered more. Who could she possibly like? I'm obviously the hottest but Race is a close second? Maybe she's into gingers? Albert would be her prime target. I decide to not focus on goils anymore and work on winning the strike.

*The next day*

We gather around by the circulation gate in newsies square to begin our strike. A couple of scabs come up and try to steal our jobs but Davey, being the brains of the operation, talks to them and they join our side

"Now is the time to seize the day!" I explain with hand motions to better emphasize our cause.

We continue to strike and celebrate, but we all slowly stop when we see Snyder and his goons. Snyder bangs his bat on a nearby railing and his crew begin to move. Jack runs up to him and gets really close to his face.

"Newsies..... GET EM"

Everything goes crazy as newspaper stacks are being thrown and barrels are being rolled through groups of people. I see Jack put Les into a metal bin and roll him across the ground. The Delancey Brothers grab Les so me, Henry and Tommy Boy attack the brothers saving Les. I get pushed to the ground and I slide across the hard stone cement. The brawl continues and I decide to get away, too banged up to fight anymore. In the distance I hear Crutchie yelling for help. I can't help him, it's too dangerous. The group of us run to the deli, Jacobi has always helped us.

(Y/N POV)

I'm finally healed from my fiasco with the Delancey Brothers. I headed back to work yesterday, but I'm still staying with the newsies on their couch. Today they were enforcing their strike at the circulation gate, so I would probably hear all about it tonight. When I hear the bell above the door chime and the noise of a young crowd come in, I knew it was the gang.

When I walked out of the kitchen and into the main seating area however, I get a nasty shock. The boys are covered head to toe in bruises, cuts, and scrapes. They are all sprawled out on the tables and chairs, looking defeated. I immediately go get them some water and hand it out among them. Then I rush for my first aid kit.

"What in the world??" I say as I'm rushing towards them.

I start to help the boys, starting with Elmer, then Jojo, then Finch, then Henry. I feel my cheeks start to burn as I see Race is next to be aided. I finish wrapping up Henry's head and turn to Racer.

"What's hurting? Let me help you."

He points to his clenched fist and his shoulder. I pick up the ointment and grab his hand.

Oh. This doesn't feel right. Shouldn't there be some type of spark? Electricity?

I look up and our eyes meet. For the first time ever, looking into his eyes doesn't feel like magic.

I continue bandaging his arm, I could feel him looking at me.

"Listen, Y/N, about last night...", He says awkwardly.

I hoped he wouldn't bring up last night..

"Sometimes people love us and we don't even realize, but they are always right in front of us... you just need to look harder."

I look up at him and say, "I'm not sure I know what you mean."

"I'm sorry if I let on like I liked you that way... I think you are a really great goil and you deserve someone that will love you and treat you perfectly, but that person is not me... I know someone who would."

I turn around to meet those same ocean blue eyes that belong to the boy I have always overlooked. A needle in a haystack. A shooting star. Mush Meyers.