Chapter 4 - Skull bustin'

(Y/N POV)

I wake up to the sound of snickering around me. I flutter my soft eyelashes open and see the rowdy crew around me, but when I sit up they scatter.

"What's up with you weirdos" I say while wiping my eyes.

"Hey I guess even pretty goils like you look a mess sometimes." They chuckle as I throw a pillow at Albert.

"What are you talking about" I say

"go look for yourself" they all leave and continue getting ready. "Cmon boys it's time to go carry the banner!"

I walk into the bathroom and pull my long hair into a messy bun. I don't wear any makeup, many say I have a natural glow, although I don't see it. I pull on my deli uniform and go into the main area.

"Wow Y/N, you sure clean up nicely." Finch says sliding up to me and putting an arm around my shoulder.

"Too bad you don't." I shoot back at him and duck away from him grasp. As I run away I feel something soft hit the back of my head. In the time I had gotten three feet, Finch had whipped out his slingshot and shot his rolled up socks at me. Perfect aim that Finch had.

"EWWW GROSSS" I yell as I hear Race's melodious laughter fill the room. Well, maybe not melodious, but it sounded like that to me.

I waved good-bye and expressed my thanks to the boys as I set off for another day at work. Hey, I loved my father and all but he ran a tight ship.

The walk there was uneventful, and so was most of the day. A couple of old men flirted with me, I had to clean up a TON of tables, you know, the usual. I didn't see any of the newsboys but I figured they would let me back in because of what they said earlier. The sun began to set and I locked up once again.

I started my long trek to the lodging house as I heard footsteps behind me. I start to speed up but my short legs aren't fast enough. I feel a harsh hand grab my shoulder and spin me around. Uh oh. The Delancey Brothers. My Ex's creepy friends.

"A little boird told us you got into a disagreement with Darcy eh? What's that about?" Oscar sneers at me.

I start to back up but I bump into Morris behind me. "Yeah I guess you could call it that" I say with the same amount of force. My tough attitude falters when Morris pushes me again to the side.

"Darcy say's you cheated on him with one o' dem newsboys." They start to corner me in an alleyway.

"Whatever he told you is a lie! I saw him with one of those awful showgirls." I look around for any escape. My best bet is the fire escape. I've fought my brothers before, should be easy enough right?

"If we'se hear you are cheating on our boy again, you'se gonna get more than just a skull bustin'." Morris warns as he cracks his knuckles.

My plan isn't as easy anymore when I feel a shooting pain across my temple. Oscar had punched me in the head as Morris held me back. I scream for help but it's no use as I get a blow to the stomach. I fall to the ground, bracing for the next impact, my vision slipping in and out of view. I feel another strong hand on my arm before I completely pass out.