Chapter 3- The Past

"Hey, little lady..."

I look up to see a man in a yellow, tweed suit with a matching fedora. I ignore him as I continue wiping the tables at the deli.

"I haven't seen you around this deli before... Are you a new waitress?" He asks.

"...I've worked here since I was twelve. I'm Jacobi's daughter." I say as I push by him, carrying the plates to the kitchen. I notice he is still following me.

"You're not allowed in here you know." I say.

"Do you even know who I am?" He asks with pride.

I'm now looking directly at him, "No and I don't care. Why are you following me?"

"My father owns one of the biggest publishing companies in the big apple, and your father owns the most successful deli in Manhattan. A power couple, don't you think?" He grins smugly.

I chuckle, "You don't even know me."

"Oh but I want to...", He looks me up and down. "What do you say? Tomorrow night at Picassas Pies?"

"I work tomorrow night, but thanks for offering." I pick up the fresh plates of food and bring them to the tables to see Racetrack with one of his new lady friends.
It seems to be a new one every week...
I feel a stabbing pain of jealously that I have never experienced before.

I turn back around to find the man in tweed, "You can pick me up at 8pm", I say with a fierce look on my face.

I secretly hope Race is looking at me as I walk away with a new man wrapped around my fingers.

Just before I reach the kitchen to get more waters, I stop abruptly.

"Wait you didn't tell me your name"

"It's Darcy... and your name little lady?" He asks.

"Y/N"

*memory ends*