Its Time

Steven was grateful his friends had offered to come, but he wanted to do this alone.

Sitting across from his dad as an adult was weird, especially since he was so uncomfortably large. "Dad, we need to talk."

Greg set down his drink he'd been trying to sip at casually. "What's up, kiddo?"

His son blushed, this was going to be the most embarrassing thing he'd ever done in his life. "I know you've been following the band, and the drama surrounding The Curse Is Calling, specifically Allison."

Greg nodded, internally relieved that he wasn't going to have to push. "I have."

He had hoped his dad would ask him a question so he wouldn't have to grasp at straws, or worse, start at the beginning. "Ask me anything." It was weak, and he felt like a total fucking loser. Sometimes Allison was so easy to talk about it barely bothered him. But now looking at his father's tense expression, he would rather be talking about getting it in the ass while he gets called a princess.

And he really didn't wanna do that.

"Who is she to you? Is it true she's an ex?"

Steven let out a sound of disgust as his skin started glowing. "I-I'm sorry, you didn't make me mad or anything. I'm okay. Yeah... she's an ex, I guess. We met after Connie and I broke up." He started tearing apart the distressed part of his jeans again as he held his breath so he wouldn't cry.

Unintentionally and without thinking Greg blurted, "Christ son! What did she do to you?"

Steven's eyes widened, still brown despite his glow. They stared at each other and Greg tried not to hurt as his son clearly started having flashbacks. Steven sniffled and shook his head sadly. "I'm so sorry, Dad."

Greg got up to sit down beside his son and pull him into a hug. It was a little alarming how big his son was now, but the concern only heightened when Steven shrunk down to what was probably the appropriate size for an adult. "Why are you apologizing? Steven, what happened?"

He spilled over with everything, from meeting her to running into her at college and how his friends defended him and how weak he felt and how terrified. "I'm over her, but I'm afraid I'll never be over it. How do I move on, Dad?"

Greg's heart broke into a million pieces. "Is this how big you were with Allison? Did she stunt you?" He nodded against his thigh and Greg rubbed his head. Now he had to wonder if The Gems had stunted him too, but this wasn't the time. "I should've taught you better. It's not your fault."

"I know. But that doesn't do anything but make me feel helpless," He mumbled.

Greg took a deep breath and tried to parent. "If it helps, I think you've already moved on."

Steven sat up and wiped at his eyes. "What do you mean?"

"You're in a giant polycule band hybrid with a loving wife and pet lion. You live in your own home, and you're loved. You're a famous musician. Sounds like you're not letting it drag you down as much as you think it is." His dad hugged him tight. "I'm so sorry, son. I-I wish..." He wished he would've called him. He wished he'd been a good enough dad that when his son was in an abusive relationship he would've called his dad to come and get him because he would have. He'd have dropped anything and everything.

"It's okay, Dad. Look," He blew out a shaky breath and returned to his normal (ish) size of being a giant. "I just... some stuff might be coming out that's going to possibly reveal stuff I can't bring myself to do anything but sing or cry about and I didn't want you in the dark."

"Whatever support you need, Steven, I'm here. As your second manager, but most of all your dad." He hesitated for a moment, wondering if it was the wrong thing to say before he said, "I'm so proud of you, Steven."

The growing smile told him he'd hit a home run. Not too shabby.