Code Mistake

Everyone stared in shock as reality distorted a bit around them. It felt a little like being torn apart atom by atom and being put back together, but the world simply ceased to be perceived normally. Reality was like glass, they sensed if they moved they might destroy the universe if Adam wasn't already on his way to it.

Steven collapsed like a sack of flour and both Hazel and Jacob were close behind him in terms of consciousness as Adam let out a manic, perfect sound they couldn't have described if they tried.

Screamo was indefinitely his best genre.

The track was over, it was just silence over open space and Adam giggled the sweetest laugh they'd ever heard from him, with the added bonus of him breathing in so hard they came out as hiccups. He was smiling teeth and all, his seldom used smile lines showing. He didn't even seem aware anything had happened as he ran a hand over his face and muttered through more laughter, "I can't fucking believe you guys for making me this."

What could they do but stare?

Finally he took notice of his surroundings, though it was merely a glance and then a massive gasp. "H-holy shit." He could see into the kitchen from the basement, and last he'd checked they didn't have a sky/floor light.

Jacob coughed and tried to sit up. He wasn't pale, but rather blotchy in a concerning way. It almost looked like he was breaking out in hives. His hair was even worse than usual with the way it seemed to be reacting to static. "Holy shit."

He kicked Hazel with his foot a few times and the ebony man gasped in air. "I think my soul was going down." He let that sit before uttering, "Holy shit."

Paralyzed except for the swiveling heads, they took in the damage. The ceiling above the recording booth was blasted to hell and not coming back without serious maintenance. The lights had shattered and so had the glass between the two groups. Thousands of dollars of equipment fizzled and died out, or were already dead to begin with. Everyone's nose was bleeding a bit.

Adam backed into a corner and curled into a ball. He felt genuine terror, something about his body felt massively different. Something wasn't wrong necessarily, but it was changed without his prior knowledge or consent. "Any notes?"

Connie whispered, "Is anyone dead?"

Eyes turned to Steven, unmoving and pale. Adam broke out of his trance to check his pulse and cursed, reeling back to slap Steven across the face so hard it echoed around the destruction. His eyes shot open and he turned his wide eyes to Adam.

They locked eyes for a while, and Adam looked ready to either pass out or fist fight, he couldn't tell. Steven blinked and pulled him into a hug. "Are you okay?"

Adam nodded into the hug and tightened it, grateful for the comfort. "I'm so sorry for hitting you but you weren't b-breathing. I'm okay, just extremely concerned."

Steven sighed but it was deep and long, like a burden had been lifted from him. "That was so cool!"

They stared to cheer and Adam was confused as to why. He was out of breath and could feel his veins buzzing (which was metal as fuck) but he had no memory of the last 45 seconds or so. He blacked out, and now everyone was whooping and hollering at the top of their lungs. "What happened?! Was it good?"

"Good?!" Jacob cried. "I'm over here sitting in a bloody puddle of piss and shock!"

Adam shook his head rapidly. "C-can you say it without the accent? I didn't catch that."

Hazel hug tackled him and sent Steven, Adam and himself tumbling backwards. "Babe, you're a fucking rockstar!"

"A-a rockstar?" His heart fluttered at the compliment. "What's going on?" Everyone else was pouring in and clambering so loudly his long fuse burst into flames. No one was listening to him! He got overstimulated and bellowed, "Get off of me, now!"