Emotionless Resolve

Ayanokoji Kiyotaka's Point Of View

After I split ways with Sakayanagi, her words and ideals played on repeat in my head, especially the title she referred to me by.

"False Genius"... It doesn't bother me... but it does bring back nostalgic memories...

I began thinking on my way back.

I learned the true value of natural gifts early on. Traits that separated the talented and the ordinary.

There was no doubt about it that we're all born unequal, no matter how we splice it. Some are born in fortunate situations with all the support anyone would need to grow into a complete person in the future, and some, like me, are born in situations where personal choices aren't an option but purely a desire.

But that's not what I am referring to, nor was Sakayanagi.

What truly separated the geniuses from the commoners were genetics. Whether we were born more attractive than others, physically or intellectually superior to others, naturally more charismatic than others, etc. There are so many different types of talents that can't be duplicated, no matter how hard you work.

And I learned that the hard way...

I can still remember the thoughts I had all those years ago, thoughts that later formed the person I became.

----------

Flashback to 12 years ago.

I plopped my exhausted little body on my white bed, readying myself to end the day.

Today was awful... like every day here...

My personal feelings didn't matter, tho.

It was no secret that I enjoyed learning new things and experiencing new activities, even if punishments are looming right around every corner if I fail. Despite this, my endless curiosity made me try everything and do everything we were shown with all I had. My energy was boundless.

I wonder what I'll learn next week...

Although I enjoyed the very thing this place aimed to do, it was never pleasant for me. Not just that, I've always been closed to being punished with my results, barely getting mediocre results. I never excelled at any of the subjects we were taught this week.

It's just my first time trying them out... I'm sure I will do much better next week... but then why... did everyone do better...?

Unlike the others in my group, I had nothing I excelled at. Some were excellent pianists, some had amazing calligraphic, and some had boundless stamina for sprinting or swimming. It was truly a spectacle to see their talents shine.

Then it hit me.

Do I have no talents...?... no, that's not right... I should have something I am good at...

I enjoyed learning and experiencing all the new things I could this week, but no matter how much I did, my results still came back mediocre.