Two - Cats and Rats

The next morning, Sarah Jane was woken up by London's early underground train running past -- the girl forgetting that some ran on the outside, not just hundreds of feet below. Despite being panicked, she dragged herself out of bed, getting dressed and going downstairs -- paying for some breakfast and shoving her headphones on. Tom greeted the girl with an English breakfast right as Harry came down next. The boy sat in front of her, his lips moving slowly with a guilty look in his eyes.

    Sarah Jane paid no attention to him.

    Harry blinked, repeating what he had said just for Sarah Jane to lift up her walkman, obviously turning her music louder to where he could hear it in front of him. He cursed at her loudly and she simply stuffed a pile of beans into her mouth as he walked away to get his own breakfast.

    This continued for days. For a week Harry avoided speaking to her, expecting her to crack first like she usually did. By the eighth day he was the one begging her to just look at him.

    No matter how much Harry begged, Sarah Jane didn't look or speak to the boy. If she passed him in the hall, she'd turn the other way and find a way to dodge him around the corner, or when they'd be eating she'd act as if he didn't exist, even if he reached and took her fork or knife to get her attention, she'd just grab a new set and continue with what she would be doing. Around midway through August, Sarah Jane was forced out of her book as she sat in the corner of the pub. She looked up just to see Harry had set a tiny bag of sweets in front of her, inside she could see some of her favorite types of sweets, things such as acid pops which she could somehow down like it was nothing, or other things like cauldron and pumpkin cakes.

    Sarah Jane still didn't open her mouth, but to Harry's delight she began to walk into Diagon Alley with him. Harry would practically talk to himself, throwing in the occasional apology as they walked down the shop windows. The only times Sarah Jane unintentionally spoke to Harry were to stop him from spending money or giving an opinion. Any time she did this, Harry's eyes would light up, but the light would die as soon as she began to ignore him again.

    The two found themselves outside of their favorite shop multiple times as the days continued. Their eyes glistening at the sight as they stuck their heads against the window of the shop, their eyes glued to the new broom. Firebolt. The world's newest and fastest broom to exist, a broom that hypnotized Harry into wanting to just go inside and buy it for himself.

    "No!" Sarah Jane spat, grabbing the boy's collar and jerking him from the door's entrance, "we'd barely have anything left if you bought just one."

    Harry raised a brow, "just me? You want one?"

    Sarah Jane's cheeks went red, "you're not getting it. Even if we could afford two of them, we aren't doing it."

    Their conversation ended there as Sarah Jane dragged him back to the Leaky Cauldron for dinner. Harry teased her for wanting such a thing as she wasn't a seeker like he was, but as much as Sarah Jane denied it, she too loved the broom, part of her even being jealous of Harry for even having a good reason for wanting or deserving such a thing. The day after their conversation, Harry tried to force her to not even go near the shop, but she'd eventually slipped past, entering the shop. Harry desperately followed, surprised she only wanted a new set of gloves for quidditch -- her original ones being destroyed as they were ones from the school.

    They left the shop taking an extra minute to stare at the broom in the window.

    Even with the two fighting, or more so Sarah Jane shutting Harry out, the one thing they'd possibly forever get along with or understand blindly would be quidditch.