~ The Kingdom of the Sea: Chapter 15 ~

Hare was exhausted from swimming by the time she got back to the Summer Palace. She couldn't even be sure that Orca would be here, but she had to hope.

She'll have to be here at some point. I'll just need to wait.

Hare scanned the pavilions, huffing in annoyance when she didn't see Orca anywhere. She saw Queen Coral and Anemone, but no Orca.

Hare changed her direction to check the caves in the cliffs. She was about to change her direction again and check somewhere else when something slammed into her, knocking her into one of the empty caves.

Hare twisted around to fight back. Her attacker slashed at her side and slammed her into the ground. Hare's screech of pain was cut off by her attacker clamping her jaws shut by pushing down on her snout.

"If you're here to stop me, it's not going to work," the attacker hissed.

Orca.

Hare twisted her arm at an awkward angle and pulled Orca's talon off her snout. "I'm not here for you," she snarled. "I didn't even know you were alive. I thought you were dead."

Orca let out a low growl. "Why have you been there?" she demanded. "Who is summoning you?"

"I don't know." It wasn't a complete lie. Hare didn't understand what Mystery's warning meant or why she was needed.

Orca scoffed. "Right. If this is Storm's doing, I'll rip him apart."

"I don't know who that is!" Hare protested. "I don't know any of you!"

"Your arrivals are distracting from what we're doing," Orca snarled. "If you're not a trainee, you have no purpose there."

"And who does have a purpose there?" Hare snapped. "Dragons like Clownfish?"

"That idiot," Orca hissed. "Allowing himself to get caught. He's pathetic." Orca laughed, sending shivers down Hare's spine. "He'll be punished as deemed necessary."

"What do you-"

"It's none of your business," Orca interrupted. "What matters is that you're a threat to us. I should kill you right now."

Fear rushed through Hare. She felt weak and suddenly seemed to forget everything about fighting. Orca placed her claws on Hare's throat. She squeezed her eyes shut.

"Let's do this quickly," Orca murmured.

Then she sliced her claws over Hare's throat.