Chapter 49. Christmas

꧁༺ 𝓢𝓸𝓷𝓰𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 ༻꧂

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

I was getting some poinsettias out around where Bailey and Cody had their toy donation for the kids.

"Thank you so much, Esme for bringing on out these out. They're gorgeous," Bailey said.

"Absolutely. Nothing like bringing out a little extra Christmas spirit. Plus, if somebody buys the flowers, I wanna do a 50/50 split. 50% of the proceeds go to the orphans and you guys, and 50% of the money goes to my flower shop," I said, "Oh, which reminds me. I have a couple of boxes of gifts for the orphans as well. If you guys could come over to my cabin and help me pick them all up?"

"How many boxes do you have?" Cody asked.

"Uhhh," I had to think about how many boxes I had been saving up, "At least 5 large boxes."

"That's wonderful, Essie," Bailey said, "We'll be stopping over this mini shift."

"I can't believe Mr. Moseby is making me come in tomorrow at 6 am," Zack came to complain to me, "Who works on Christmas Day?"

"I'm working Christmas Day," I said, "It's 2 times what I normally make. Plus, because it's actually Christmas Day, people are more willing to leave me with bigger tips. We can exchange gifts tonight."

"Yeah, but I'd rather spend Christmas Day with you," Zack said with a disappointed sigh, "I can't believe I'm being forced to wake up extra early for Christmas."

"Zack, you wouldn't be in this situation, if you'd set an alarm and actually wake up for it, instead of slamming the alarm off. And yes, you do it because you've broken some of my alarm clocks," I explained, "I have to be up at 5am to be at work by 6. to make sure all the poinsettias are watered and arrange some new bouquets. Be thankful you can sleep in a little. Not much longer than me, but you can still sleep in a bit. And if you sleep in, I will find a thing of freezing water and pour it on you to wake your butt up."

"Wow, feeling the Christmas spirit," Zack said.

I kissed Zack's cheek, "Come on, Zack. Spend the night with me, and I'll make sure you wake up on time." I winked at Zack.

"You're naughty," Zack joked.

"At least I made it to somebody's naughty list," I joked.

The rest of Christmas Eve went by smoothly. I was making a little Christmas dinner and had everybody coming over to my room for dinner. Since I never had a roommate, it was nice being able to have a coffee table and couch.

"Hey, beautiful," Zack said as he came in with a bag of gifts. He kissed my cheek. "Mhh, food smells amazing."

"It should been. I've had this ham in the slow cooker all day. There's even some pineapple chunks and I pinned some cherries to it. To give it that sweet taste. I know nobody likes fruitcake, but I have a tiny platter of it. I have a green bean casserole and a few tiny things. I guess Bailey and Cody are also bringing some stuff," I explained.

Zack kissed me once again. "I honestly can't wait for you to open up your gift. I've been trying to search high and low for you," Zack said.

"Zack, and I've told you before that I don't need anything fancy. Honestly, spending time with you is more than enough for me," I kissed Zack.

There was a couple of knocks on the door and Cody, Bailey, Woody, Mr. Moseby, and Maya came over. I never wanted Mr. Moseby to feel left out, so I extended the invitation to him. I tried giving one to London, but she didn't even give anything to the orphans. She just didn't want to be with us, and that was her decision.

"Hi everybody," I said with a smile, "Sorry for the tight squeeze, but welcome. Gifts can go under the tree. Feel free to get a plate of food. It should all be good to go." I saw Bailey had a dish in her hand, "Oh, Bailey, here, you can place that here with the other food." I moved some plates around to make room for hers.

"Thanks, Esme," Bailey said as she placed her dish on the small table I had together for the food.

"Merry Christmas," everybody said as they made their way to putting gifts under the tree and making their way to seats and they all started to eat.

"Esme, this is all very delicious," Mr. Moseby said, "Did you make the ham all by yourself?"

"I put it in the slow cooker that's about it. But all the other food, I made by myself," I said before I started to nibble on what Bailey brought, "Oh, Bailey, this is delicious."

"Please, it doesn't compare to everything you made. The crushed/shredded pineapple is amazing," Bailey said.

"Thank you. It's a family tradition on my side. Thankfully it's never too hard to make," I said.

Zack was eating some ham and smiled to himself. "Remind me to ask you to make this ham all the time. This is perfect for ham sandwiches," Zack said.

I laughed and shook my head. I was thankful for how wonderful the Christmas get-together was. After everybody ate, we all exchanged gifts with each other. It was a great time. I noticed Zack still had a few gifts beside him, and it didn't help I could see my name on them. We all watched a Christmas Carol and soon enough everybody went back to their cabins.

"So what's up with those gifts you haven't given me yet?" I playfully asked.

"I was gonna give them to you tomorrow morning. After all, it is actually Christmas Day tomorrow," Zack said before he kissed my cheek.

"Okay, that's fair," I said I went into my closet and put out a couple more gifts under the tree. I noticed Zack eyeballing the gifts. "Like you said, Zack, tomorrow is actually Christmas. No touchy the gifts," I laughed. We went to bed shortly after that.

I woke up and hit my alarm clock, seeing that it was 5:00am. I looked over and Zack got up out of bed.

"Zack, you're actually getting up with me?" I asked.

"Yeah, we can at least exchange 1 or 2 gifts now before we have to go to work," Zack said. I kissed Zack and smiled.

I grabbed 2 smaller gifts and gave them to Zack. Zack smiled and did the same thing.

"Oh my goodness, you got me a Grinch onesie!" I exclaimed in happiness, "Zack, I love it!"

"Well, open up your other gift," Zack said, laughing at my reaction.

"You.. you got me the new Resident Evil game?" I asked in surprise.

"I know they're your favorite game," Zack said.

"Well, now you get to open yours," I said with a smile.

"Oooo, I love the Grinch Hawaiian shirt," Zack said with a smile, "Ohhh! Awesome! An Iron Man helmet! I love them!"

"Merry Christmas, Zack," I said as we leaned in for a kiss.

"Merry Christmas, Esme," Zack said with a smile.