Chapter 33

I couldn't sleep that night. I couldn't get Cheryl's warning out of my head, which set my mind racing. There was no way Sweet Pea would believe Cheryl, right? It's not like I'd done anything, so why did I feel so guilty? So worried about the situation? My thoughts quickly spiraled out of control.

The house was silent when I climbed out of the bed, moving carefully so as not to wake Sweet Pea. Downstairs, I started the coffee maker, not knowing what else to do. The hours passed slowly but eventually Mr Andrews joined me in the kitchen, surprised to find me there already.

"You're up early," he said, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Couldn't sleep," I replied absently.

Mr Andrews sighed. "Anything you wanna talk about?"

I considered for a moment, trying to find a suitable answer. "No, I'll be okay, everything will work itself out. Thanks though." At least, I hoped it would. "I'm gonna make sure Sweet Pea's up."

"Abigail," Mr Andrews called softly as I started towards the stairs. "I don't know what's on your mind right now, but whatever it is, you'll get through it. You're stronger than you think."

I gave a small nod in thanks before making my way upstairs. Sweet Pea was still laying on his stomach when I let myself into our room, closing the door softly behind me. "Where have you been?" he asked.

"Downstairs, talking to Mr Andrews," I answered, sitting next to him on the bed. "I brought you coffee if you want it."

Sweet Pea groaned, rolling onto his back. "Why did we go to that party last night?"

"Because you're part of the cast and you dragged me along," I said with a small smile. "Aren't you supposed to have rehearsal this morning? You're gonna be late if you don't get up."

"You're right, what time is it?" Sweet Pea jumped up when I checked the clock, pulling his clothes on hurriedly. "I"ll be glad when this thing's done with. You're coming to opening night next week though, right?"

"I wouldn't miss it," I replied. "I'll stop by around lunch today."

Sweet Pea smiled, leaning down to press his lips against mine. "I'll see you then."

The sound of his motorcycle echoed down the street as he took off, followed not long after by Archie leaving as well. I forced myself to get ready and met Mr Andrews at the office, keeping myself busy with paperwork for the next few hours.

Wandering the halls of the school, I found Reggie alone in the student lounge. "What happened this time?" I asked, dropping down onto the couch next to him.

"Ronnie," he replied with a sigh.

"I thought you were over her. Isn't that why you got involved in the musical, something about you and Archie just being two single guys doing theater?"

Reggie nodded. "Yeah, it was, and it was working out great for a while. But last night Veronica and I hooked up which was great. Then this morning she tells me it was all because she wanted to forget about the fact that her parents are splitting. I feel like an ass for telling her this isn't the time for us to get together but I want to be with her for real, not as a distraction from the rest of her life."

"Haven't you learned your lesson yet?" I asked. "Veronica has done nothing but use you, handing out little treats here and there to keep you around. I thought you were done with her for good."

"So did I, but there's just something about her that keeps me coming back. Maybe after everything calms down with her parents and she processes everything we can make it work."