TEN

Each year at the end of September, Grayson Welch hosted his annual end of summer party. These parties were the talk of the town. Cambria heard rumors of previous years, things that had happened that no one would confirm or deny.

"What's with all the secrecy?" Cambria asked Jackson.
"It's not secrecy," he replied. "It's uncertainty. No one actually knows."
She'd heard stories of cops being called, fires being started. "They do tend to get a little out of control," Jackson told her.

Cambria had (wrongfully) assumed they'd be going together, she and Jackson. But he was already planning to go with Natalia. And you know what they say – two's a party, three's a crowd.

Cambria had only interacted with Natalia on a handful of occasions, mostly social gatherings with the rest of their friends. Once did she spend one-on-one time with her when the three of them went to the mall together. Jackson got distracted looking at golf equipment and Cambria and Natalia were stuck together in Sephora.

She didn't have much of an opinion on her. She was nice enough, but Cambria still didn't see the appeal. She knew Jackson better than anyone, and she couldn't comprehend the apparent connection. There was also the fact that Jackson had spent the last three weeks doing nothing but complain about her.

When pushed for details, he didn't provide much. The most she could gather was that in only a three-month span, the relationship had become toxic and turbulent.

It was difficult for Cambria to picture Jackson angry. She'd barely seen him raise his voice, let alone yell at someone. Yet somehow, that's what their relationship consisted of.

She didn't like that Natalia was bringing out the worst in him.

"If your relationship is so bad," she said to him one day, "why not break up?"
"Trust me, I've thought about it."
"What's stopping you? Why stay in a relationship with someone if all you do is fight?"
"It's not all we do. We're fine for the most part. But the fighting can get pretty bad."
"Yes, I'm painstakingly aware."
He took a drag of his cigarette. "She just makes me so angry sometimes. She's bossy and controlling and demanding. I can't live my life without her making snide remarks about everything."
"Have you tried talking to her?"
"Yeah, and it gets me nowhere."
Cambria gave up. She didn't understand either of them and her suggestions were futile.

Hence why not attending the party with Jackson bothered her more than it should have.

Instead, she brought Mara, who seemingly only served as a substitute for Jackson. Albeit Mara did have better taste in clothes.

It was nice spending time with Mara. She had forgotten what it was like to have girl-time. They got ready together and Mara did her makeup, arriving at Grayson's house just after nine.

A good majority of their friend group was already there, and Cambria took the time to introduce Mara to everyone.

"I want to meet Jackson's crazy girlfriend," she said as she drank from her cup.
"Shh," Cambria hushed her, surveying the room to ensure they weren't in ear shot. "Don't say that here."
"Why, do people actually like her?"
"Well, yes. I think."
"Are they here yet?" Mara looked around, and Cambria did too.
"I don't think so. But we probably won't even see Jackson if he's with Natalia."
"What a buzzkill. He should break up with her."
"You're telling me."
"What does she think of you?"
"Good question. She's cordial with me. But I get the feeling she probably hates me. I mean, she definitely hates me."
"Can you blame her? If my boyfriend was spending that much time with another girl, I'd definitely hate her."
"It's not like that," Cambria protested, but Mara already knew that.