FORTY

She stood outside the church doors, clutching her dress, waiting for her signal to go inside. Her palms were sweating. Her heart was beating through her chest. The sun was shining, a beautiful summer day.

Just then, the music started. The doors opened. It was time.

Her father looped his arm through hers, and together, they walked forward, one step at a time. She tried not to think about all the eyes that were on her. She focused on the one thing ahead of her, awaiting her at the front of the room.

She watched his face as he watched her walk down the aisle. Tears filled his eyes, and she knew then that she had made the right decision.

They reached the altar, and at last they were face to face. The love of her life. The man she would spend the rest of her life with.

"Dearly beloved," the minister began. "We are gathered here today in the sight of God, and in the presence of family and friends, to join this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony."

As he spoke, Cambria tuned him out. It was white noise to her. All she could focus on was Finn. And his eyes, staring directly into hers.

And then before she knew it, she heard the minister say:

"Do you, Finn Patrick Whitaker, take Cambria Annabelle Nickson, as your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health, until death do you part?"
"I do."
"And do you, Cambria Annabelle Nickson, take Finn Patrick Whitaker, as your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health, until death do you part?"
"I do."
"May the Peace and the Unconditional Love of God surround you and remain with you now and forevermore. By the powers vested in me and the highest power of the land and sea, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now seal your vows with a kiss."