21 Crossroad demons

Finally! That's the last part. I can't believe we made it this far but here we are. I really hope y'all enjoy the finale. Have fun!

~~~

When Cole and Jay entered the room, the young lord was sitting on the couch, lost in the sight of the child. He seemed to enjoy every second he could spend with it. But when he noticed the hangman's return, his gaze darted up and Cole could see the fear in Lloyd's bright green eyes.

"You're back already?" he muttered and Jay nodded.

"My Lord, are you still considering giving the baby up for adoption or giving them to the nuns?"

The blonde shrugged, but his eyes widened. "I guess. I mean, I don't have much of a choice." His gaze wandered back to the baby and no one dared to say a word. Minutes passed by and finally Jay broke the silence: "What do you think about your child?"

The young lord's eyes were fixed on the sleeping child. He smiled softly and caressed the baby's tiny cheek with his thumb. "I've never seen such an adorable little thing. Is ... is it a boy or a girl?"

"Are you sure you want to know? If you decide to send the child away, I guess you might feel better not knowing too much about it," Zane suggested.

"No, I'm not sure. But that doesn't matter anymore." He tilted his head and looked at Jay. "Tell me."

Jay nodded, and a small smile appeared on his lips as he sat down next to the nobleman. He was careful not to touch him in the slightest but it certainly was an unusual act of intimacy between an earl and a hangman's wife. "You have a lovely little daughter, my lord."

Lloyd sobbed and wiped furtively his eyes. "She's gorgeous!" he whispered.

"Yes, she really is."

He looked up and his eyes locked with Jay's. Cole had the uncomfortable feeling the two of them shared a connection he wasn't a part of. That was crazy, but somehow all the accusations Jay might be a witch came to his mind. Maybe his spouse really did have some kind of abilities he didn't know about.

"Why did you take care of her in the first place?" Lloyd demanded to know.

"I saved her life and I'm willing to take care of her as long as needed, my lord."

"Do you?" Lloyd raised his eyebrows and looked at Cole. "And what about you, Master Hence? Will you support your wife's decision?"

Cole was stunned when he realized that the nobleman already understood what they offered him. But, did he really grasp what it meant? "She will be doomed," he said tormented. "A hangman's child is impure and you will never be able to change your mind after that. She will be a part of my social rank. No matter what!"

"But you will give her a good, loving home and take care of her, right?"

Of course he wanted to, but to be honest that was quite a big decision. "I guess," he muttered and went silent.

A shy smile flitted across Lloyd's lips. "I would be happy to see my child in a loving family. Even if that means I can't be an active part of her life. At least that's better than not knowing where she is at all. And I assure you, I will show my gratitude if you are willing to take care of her."

"I see," Cole nodded but he couldn't bring himself to say yes.

"My lord", Zane spoke up but Lloyd shook his head and stopped the priest.

"Wait, I want to say something first." Even though he turned pale, his appearance was confident. "I really appreciate your suggestion to take care of my failure. I should have never dated Harumi in the first place and even though I loved her dearly, I know it was wrong in so many ways. It shouldn't be on you to take the blame, Master Hence. So please, feel free to step back from your wife's suggestion. No matter how you decide, it shall not be to your disadvantage, I promise!"