06 About daggers and cakes

The weeks passed by but Jay's condition hadn't changed. She remained silent and every time Cole entered the room her eyes widened and she recoiled. Cole didn't even dare trying to touch her in the slightest. He racked his brains how he could prove to Jay that he had nothing bad in mind, but no matter how careful he was, she seemed to be afraid of him and even the time didn't heal her wounds. She stayed in her room the whole day and only came down, when he asked her to join him for dinner.

Today was the same as usual. Jay didn't say a word while Cole tried his best to entertain her, but luckily he had set up a plan.

"Oh, I almost forgot. I have something for you," he beamed and fetched a parcel from his bag. He pushed their plates aside and put the longish present on the table in front of Jay. "That's for you."

"Why?" she asked without moving.

"Well I wanted to give you a present for our wedding. But it happened so fast, I didn't have time to get anything. So it's a bit late, but it's all yours."

Her fingers trembled while she loosened the strings and opened the box. "What ...?" She looked up and met Cole's gaze. "A dagger?" she wondered and liftet the beautiful piece of work out of the box.

Cole was really surprised how much Kai, the town's blacksmith had improved. This dagger wasn't just an ordinary weapon. It was a masterpiece! The handle was made of lavender colored jade and the scabbard consisted of simple steel, but it was over and over decorated with golden inlays and engravings.

"That ... I can't accept this!" Jay breathed awestruckly, but she couldn't take her eyes from the gift. Carefully she pulled the scabbard back, revealing a multiple folded steel blade, which, like the scabbard itself, was decorated with golden ornaments. "Oh my..." her eyes darted at Cole and he couldn't help but smile.

"Do you like it?"

"Ye... yes! It's beautiful! But ... it's way too expensive as a gift for me!"

Cole shook his head and reached out for her hand, but didn't touch her. "Jay, I want you to feel save everywhere and with everyone. Including myself."

"Yourself?" Jay was a bit pale and Cole tried to smile.

"I know that I look quite intimidating, but you should feel save in this house. And especially with me. So, if you feel better if you carry a weapon with you ..." he stopped and smiled. "Just take it with you wherever you are and use it if you have to."

"Are ... are you sure?"

He nodded. "Of course."

She admired the dagger and whispered: "But it must have cost a fortune!"

"You're right, but you are very important for me. I know, you were forced into this marriage, but i want you to know that I don't regret marrying you. I expect nothing from you in return. Please, just accept my gift."

She nodded absentminded and asked: "But ... but why did you give me that dress the other day and why do you give me a gift now?"

"Ah, the dress. I forget to tell Pater Zane what he should tell you when he gave it to you." He laughed and shrugged. "I was a bit nervous that day. Well, uhm, I didn't want you to get married in your old dress you wore during the time in the prison. I thought you might want to have a good dress for that day. It was my mother's favorite one and I couldn't think about a better opportunity to give it to someone." Although Jay probably didn't know how precious that dress was for him, she knew with certainty how expensive it might have been once. "And for the dagger: You can call me a bit old fashioned, but I stick with the tradition that the groom should give a present to his bride. It took a while to figure out what you might like, but I think that this dagger is a good choice. Maybe you'll feel a bit more comfortable now."