04 Death sentence

Cole gritted his teeth and closed his eyes. He couldn't believe what just had happened. The courtroom has been packed and the people were pleased with Lord Garmadon's judgement. These stupid peasants had spat and thrown rotten food on Jay when the guards lead her through the room and back to her prison cell.

It was awful and Jay's widened blue eyes had searched for Cole and mutely pleaded for help. But Cole had been completely helpless at that moment.

Now he was back in the kitchen-chamber. Pater Zane sat at the same spot as Jay some hours ago and poured the fourth glass of wine in for them. They hadn't spoken much since they had arrived. They just sat there, drank and were lost in thoughts until Cole slammed his fist on the table. "How could this even happen?" He cried out.

Zane shook his head and started with his fifth glass. Cole had never seen the pater this upset.

"Normally Lord Garmadon isn't such a fool. He doesn't believe in magic but," he sighed and Cole stopped him from refilling by taking the bottle away from him.

"Im sorry, Pater, but I think you've had way enough."

The blond man blinked in confusion, but finally he nodded. "Well, I guess Lord Garmadon wants to please the citizens and tries to state an example by burning Jade on the stake."

"But Jay is innocent!" His fist hit the table again and Zane flinched back. "How could they even consider death penalty?" asked Cole bewildered.

"I know!"

They were silent again and Zane pulled the bottle back, but didn't pour another drink. He just sat there and tapped the glas with his index finger. His gaze was blurry but suddenly a tiny smile appeared on his lips. "Master Hence, do you, by any chance, like Jade?"

"I," Cole's face felt hot and his heart was racing. "Well, I think ... I mean, she's a nice person."

"Mhm," Zane smiled and stood up. He staggered to the window and glanced outside. "How old are you right now, Master Hence?"

"I'm 25. Why?" Cole frowned. What had his age to do with that?

"And do you intend to marry someone in the near future?"

Cole remained silent and the Pater turned around. His cheeks were red and his baby blue eyes had a feverish glow.

"Pater? Are you drunk?"

"Mh, let me change the question: Is there a woman you can marry in the next few years?"

"Well, the hangman from Stiix has an unmarried daughter. She's the only girl I could marry someday, since we're not allowed to marry outside our class. I mean, there are a lot of men at my age at the hangmans familys, so the few women are already taken. But Ronan's kid is only 8, so she's way too young and I'm not interested."

Zane's grin grew wider. "Excellent."

"I don't see the point, pater."

"Well, if there is no other woman available for marriage, the hangman can ask a woman who's sentenced to death, to marry him instead of fulfilling the sentence."

Cole's stomach was tingling. "Does that mean," he interrupted himself. "But you know, that Jade ...?"

The pater nodded. "I know, yes. But if you truly love her, I wouldn't hesitate to marry you two together."

Cole tried not to look to excited but the prospect of marrying Jay felt like a dream that came true. Although some uncertainty remained. "But Lord Garmadon won't allow it. The people would claim that Jade bewitched me or something like that."

Zane nodded. "Yes, you're right. But leave this problem to me. I mean, if you would do that to save Jade?"

"Yes," he replied without hesitation. There was no need to be shy about his feelings now. "I would do anything for her!"

The pater chuckled and almost laid a hand on his shoulder but flinched back when he realized his mistake. He smiled apologetically instead. "So, go down and ask her and I try to sort the other things out."

~~~

When Cole entered the cell, Jay's gaze flickered nervously but she laid back on her straw bed, after she noticed his gentle smile. She must have cried; her eyes were red and swollen. Cole wished he could just pull her in his arms and comfort her but that was impossible. "Hey, how are you?" He asked instead and she shrugged.

"Well how should I feel after I was sentenced to death? I can tell you, it's not relieved."

He felt, once more, very dumb and blushed immediately. "I'm sorry. That was a stupid question."

She sighed and sat up. "No, it's alright. I shouldn't have been so mean. It's not your fault at all."

For a moment Cole didn't know what he should say. Everything seemed so easy und clear when he and Zane came up with their plan but now? What should he say? Marry me, if you want to live? Not only stupid and confusing but also intimidating and somehow wrong. "Uhm," he scratched his head with one hand and tried to find a beginning. "There ... uhm ... well, maybe I know something to help you."

Jay frowned and folded her arms in front of her chest. "Mhm? How not to scream while burning alive?" Her whole body trembled.

Cole sighed and sat down, next to her on the straw bed. "No. There is an actual way to save your life," he said. "But I admit that most women would prefer to die."

"Oh, sounds great," she stated and growled in frustration. "But knowing my possibilities is better than despair."

It took a few seconds until Cole had decided how to bring the subject up. He had a plan but when he opened his mouth it seemed like his head turned empty and the only words that fell out of his mouth were: "You could marry me."

Jay burst out in laughter. "Excuse me, what?"

"You ... you could agree to marry me. This would save your life and annul the judgement."

"Do you even know what you're talking about?"

Her horrified look hurt him but he just nodded. "Yes, I do."

"Why would you even do that?"

He closed his eyes and leaned his head against the cold stonewall. "Why wouldn't I? You're innocent."

"How is that even supposed to work? No priest would ..."

Cole interrupted her with a harsh gesture. "Pater Zane would. It was his idea."

She remained silent for a few minutes and when Cole finally looked at her, he felt his heart breaking into pieces. She suddenly seemed so fragile. Tears welled up under her eyelids and formed wet traces down her cheeks.

"I can't do that," she muttered and Cole's heart broke even more.

"As I already said, most women would rather die than marry the hangman. I ... it's not really surprising."

Her head bobbed up and she looked at him with wide eyes. "No, that's not the matter! But how could I do this to you? Master Hence, you'd never have children! I can't give you any and some day you would hate me for not being the woman you wanted. How could I bring so much above you just to save my life?"

Cole gaped and shook his head. "Well, it's not that I had any other candidates for marriage since I'm only entitled to marry other hangmans daughters. But there aren't any. So that shouldn't be a problem to care about. If I stay lonely or marry someone who can't give birth is not really a difference. But at least I would have someone by my side."

"But what, if you hate me one day?"

"I won't!"

"You can't know! No, Cole! I can't do this to you!"

It felt like a punch in the guts. "I see", he muttered and stood up. "I'll leave you alone now. But please, think about it."

She remained silent but Cole realized that she had called him by his firstname for the first time. He found a little bit hope in this. Maybe she liked him back. But nevertheless when he closed the door he suddenly felt so empty and sore as if Jay was already dead.