Chapter 57: Entering The Lion's Den

EMAN HASHIM

"Yes, I am all set for the exam," I said, letting out an exhale, trying to convince myself that I was, indeed, prepared for my exam.

For the past weeks, I had busted my butt studying and now that my exams were finally here, I felt a surge of anticipation and nerves. I was excited to graduate. But I was also terrified of sitting down and actually writing the exams.

"You will do great, Em." Ahvi responded, her voice filling the car. I kept my eyes on the road as I made my way back home. I had spent the past few hours with my study group. Niyati had been missing like she had been for the past few weeks. She wasn't returning any of my calls and texts either. I was worried for her.

"I know. Insha Allah, I will ace it." I blew out another breath. "By the way, did you see Niyati at uni today?" I questioned. None of the other girls in the study group had heard from her either. It was as if she had just disappeared.

Ahvi didn't respond right away, her pause stretching longer and longer until I wondered if she had hung up. "Vi?" I prompted.

"Em." Ahvi hesitated. I could almost see her pursing her lips, the way she did when she knew she wanted to say something but didn't want to say it.

"Spit it out," I said when she took another long pause. I was getting antsy now. Did Ahvi had something to do with Niyati's sudden disappearance? But why? That didn't make sense.

"Niyati is fine." Ahvi sighed. I relaxed, some of the tension leaving my shoulders. Of course, she was fine. "It's just that...umm...I have asked her to keep her distance from you." She added.

I tensed once more, glancing at the phone resting on the console before focusing back on the road. "What? Why?" I asked, pulling the car to a stop at a red light.

"I see Faled didn't tell you." She responded and there was a hint of annoyance in her tone.

"Told me what, Vi? You are freaking me out now." I answered. I had a feeling she was talking about the night Tariq had come home late, disheveled, and not himself in the least. He had not talked about that night again and I hadn't pushed him to speak. But now I felt as if I was missing a lot of things. "Tell me what happened." I added.

So she did. Ahvi told me what happened the day Shariq cornered me in the alleyway, threatening me and my marriage, telling me that he would indeed break me once and for all. And my husband would let him because by then, he wouldn't want anything to do with me. I hadn't believed him. At least, I had tried not to.

But now listening to Ahvi, I realized just how low Shariq was willing to stoop. And–and Niyati, the woman I thought was my friend, she had helped him. For money and because of some weird insecurities of hers, she had texted my husband, telling him that I was cheating on him. She had told Shariq about the fake account. Therefore, he had stopped responding to my texts.

I swallowed my anger and tears of betrayal as Ahvi finished narrating the night to me, Tariq's rage, the people, who had agreed to help Vi, telling him to talk to me, my husband storming out of the casino, Niyati acting as Shariq's pawn throughout his game.

"I talked to Niyati, asked her why she'd done it, and then made sure that she stays away from you. I wanted to tell you but then thought that I would come clean once we were done with finals." Ahvi concluded.

I turned into my street, opening my mouth to tell her that she should have just told me, that it would have saved me a lot of worrying when I spotted a car lingering by our driveway. I squinted as I slowed down, trying to see whose car it was.

As I got closer, I realized it was Alina's. A frown settled between my brows as I watched the car, unmoving, blocking my way. Alina hadn't reached out to Tariq after she'd stood him up for lunch. She had simply ghosted him. Maybe she'd come tonight to mend things with her brother because my Allah knew Tariq was upset about spending an hour at the diner only for his sister to flake out on him.