Chapter 58: Tit For Tat? Astagfirullah!

EMAN HASHIM

I twisted my hands together as I stared at the building looming over me. Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I wondered if I should just turn around and walk back outside, get into my car, and drive home.

I had come to the hotel straight from uni, having taken my first exam. It went well and I had forgotten about Alina while writing it, which I was grateful for because I didn't think I could have gotten anything down if I felt the way I did right now.

Should I really talk to her? Would she even listen to me? Her mother was worried sick for her and she had been acting like a stubborn kid, refusing to answer calls and texts from her mother and brother. I sighed as I rolled my shoulders back, taking a step toward the door.

I had to do this. I had promised Zoya I would talk to Alina. Now, I craned my neck to look at the hotel building looming over me. Pan Pacific was the only place in London I would have expected Alina to stay at. I didn't know what it was about the place that made me believe that my sister-in-law would love it.

As I stepped into the air-conditioned lobby, I mapped out the place, trying to find a friendly face which would guide me to the reception or better yet, find Alina lingering in the body of people. I didn't spot a friendly face or the scowling face of my sister-in-law but I did find the reception table.

Walking up to it, I offered a polite smile. The lady standing on the other side returned it as she folded her hands in front of her and said, "Hello. Welcome to Pan Pacific London."

"Hello. I am looking for Alina Faled. Could you tell me which room she is staying in?" I got straight to the point. My bravado was slipping through my fingers by the moment and I knew I needed to get to Alina before my fear of my sis-in-law surpassed my need to keep my promise to Zoya.

"I am sorry, ma'am, that information is confidential. I cannot give it out to you. It is against our hotel policy." The receptionist, whose name tag called her Diana, shook her head. Her smile had turned apologetic and I felt my heart deflating. But somewhere beneath the disappointment, I felt a flicker of relief. Maybe I didn't have to talk to Alina today after all.

I opened my mouth to tell her I was sorry and that it was alright when a familiar voice spoke up behind me.

"Eman?" My blood froze in my veins and the relief I had felt a moment ago evaporated in a cloud of smoke.

I twisted to find Alina standing a step behind me, her eyebrows furrowing when she got a look at my face.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. I stepped away from the desk, my hands coming together in front of me as I wrung them together. Maybe today wasn't my lucky day. Ya Allah, protect me.

"Assalamualaikum, Alina." I smiled. It was a forced gesture because I was internally freaking out and on the verge of bolting from the hotel lobby, hoping I didn't slip and fall on my face on the pristine floors. Okay, that was very detailed, Eman. Very detailed. Unnecessarily so. Focus on the task at hand.

"Walaikumassalam." She responded, still looking at me with confusion clouding her sharp, beautiful features. I had never noticed how absolutely breathtaking Alina was. Even with the purple bags under her eyes and her lips turned down in a confused frown she managed to look beautiful. "Hello?" Alina waved a hand in front of my face, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Right. Ask her if she was okay. And get the hell out of here.

"I-I..." I stammered, looking around the lobby. Some people were staring at us now. I felt flushed and embarrassed and troubled, and all the staring made me wonder if it was visible on my face.