BONUS CHAPTER #1

EMAN HASHIM

I tapped my pen against the blank page, eyebrows furrowed. The living room was quiet except for Ahvi's high-pitched giggle as she spoke with her boyfriend on the phone. I tried to tune her out, focusing on the words I'd jotted down till now.

It had been a month since I graduated and despite what I had promised myself, I had yet to begin working on the romance novel I planned on writing. I was excited for this new phase of my life but it seemed that I had hit a slump before it had even begun properly.

"Totally stupid!" Ahvi giggled again and I sighed, dropping my pen on the notebook. "Oh, I am surprised he hasn't kicked you out yet."

I perked up at her words, straightening and looking at her. Her gaze caught mine, alight with laughter and excitement. She gestured for me to hold on as she turned to Jace on the other end of the line.

"Hyde, I need to go. I'll see you tonight." She ended the call, tossing her phone on the coffee table.

"For someone who loves her boyfriend as much as you do, you have a pretty bland nickname for him. Who calls the love of their life by their last name?" I made a face, a bit disgusted at the lack of romance in Vi. She was trying, I knew, but girl, come on. You're head over heels for the man. The least you can do is call him a cute nickname like 'pookie'.

"I am not calling Jace pookie, Em." Ahvi rolled her eyes as if reading my thoughts. I mimicked her only for her to leave her spot on the armchair and all but jump on me.

"I'm just saying you could be cuter, that's it. You don't need pointers to be disgustingly sexual but you need them to be affectionate." I murmured under my breath as I tried to keep her off of me.

"I can hear you, Hashim." She chuckled, a breathy sound which made me stick my tongue out at her.

"I'd be concerned if you couldn't, given you're sitting on top of me." I pointed out.

"You're awfully sassy today. Did Tariq not rail you last night?" She asked as she settled down beside me. I would have expected my exasperation and disdain at her awfully crude and personal question but I had gotten used to them by her and her boyfriend, both of whom were sex fiends who couldn't go an hour without dragging each other to an empty room.

"I am just stuck." I sighed, pushing my hair out of my face. "And fyi, I got railed last night. Long and hard." I shot her a smirk which had her grimacing.

"It's cute when I do that," She said and it was my turn to chuckle. "Anyway, then what has you looking like someone stepped on your tail?" She added, peering over my lap at the notebook and pen I'd put aside.

"I have an idea. I know what I want to write but when I try to put pen to paper, my mind just draws a blank." I confided in her. "I have always wanted to write a romance novel and this is my chance to do so. I am not planning on working and have decided to be a stay-at-home wife so that I can work on my book. But I can't seem to be able to do that properly either. I am so tired of myself. I have been trying for a month, Vi. A month." I ranted. It felt good to let out the emotions I had been wallowing in for the past thirty days.

"Sweetie," Ahvi sat cross-legged beside me, making me face her. Taking my hands in hers, she looked me in the eye. "The last two months haven't exactly been relaxing for you. With Tariq redoing all of your wedding functions and you getting over everything Warda tried to pull at your reception, you haven't had a chance to breathe. You're not stuck. You're just lacking inspiration." She consoled me but her words brought me little comfort.

"You were dealing with trauma for five years, yet you could design and draw. You were so good at it." I mumbled, removing my hands from her hold and picking at my nails.