Chapter 14: To Trap A 'God'

3rd POV

Yap: And as for your brother, just stay out of my way.

With that, Yap leaves for his investigation. Though investigation merely in name, what he instead did was literally nothing, not even ordering the Abyss Mages he had at his disposal to relay information or do the scouting for him. 

Cryo Abyss Mage: Uh, Frostfall Revenant.. You are sure that you're not going to send us? We could help with the investigation, after all..

Yap: No need. However, I trust you will keep your mouth sealed?

Abyss Mage: Uhh.. why?

Yap: (Gives a subtle glare) Because what I'm about to say is strictly between the 2 of us.

Abyss Mage: ...Understood, Frostfall Revenant.

Yap: (Nods) Good. Now then, I've no intention of being Lumine's little helper. So as such, once Fontaine's whole prophecy blah blah blah's over, I'll be heading back to Mondstadt to deal with a little.. problem.

Abyss Mage: Mondstadt..? Frostfall Revenant, surely you don't mean-

Yap: In-deed. I'm not expecting you or your comrades to join me, and that is for the better. That is my own loose end, and I'm there to tie it up. 

The Abyss Mage hesitates with the information Yap just gave it, before it respectfully bows.

Abyss Mage: Understood, Frostfall Revenant. Your secret is safe with me. If that's your decision, then I won't question it further. But please, be careful. We may not be able to accompany you, but we'll still be watching over you from afar, ready to assist if necessary.

Yap: (Nods) I appreciate your concern. Now, get back to your duties. Keep a close watch on things that don't belong here, and report any significant developments.

With that, Yap leaves the Abyss Mage behind, heading off to attend to his own affairs. 

Few days later, Yap was approached by Clorinde.

Clorinde: Yap. We could use your expertise in about a few days from now.

Yap: ..Oh? What is it about? 

Clorinde: (Shrugs) No idea. However, it was the Traveler who came up with the suggestion.

The Frostfall Revenant's slight intrigue quickly turned to one of disappointment upon hearing who came up with the suggestion.

Yap: ..... I see.

Clorinde: So you're.. going?

Yap: (Sighs) Who else's going?

Clorinde: Can't tell, however, what he did only mention was that a "trap" of sorts is to be built.

Yap: [I think I've quite the gist.] I see. Very well, I will attend, but whether I provide any significance depends on the context of the meeting on that day. Take too long to get to the point, I'll first take my leave, enjoying the time Fontaine might have left.

Clorinde: (Chuckles lightly) Hah, that's definitely the Yap I know over time, that is. Still, "enjoying the time Fontaine might have left"?

Yap: The prophecy, Clorinde.

Clorinde: Ah, right. Yes.

Yap: (Sighs) Anyway, as per our agreement, yes, I will be there. But as I've said, my significance depends on the context of the meeting on that day. I hope the rest who will be there are direct and straight to the point.

Clorinde: Understood, Yap. I'll make sure to convey your sentiments to the others. Hopefully, we can all come to a swift and decisive resolution.

Yap nods in response, his expression betraying a mix of weariness and resignation.