Madness

Author's note: Hey guys! This is Jally here :) Just to clarify, this story takes place in a fictional dystopian society, none of this is true. I have reached 15 reads on this story woo hoo! Thank you guys so much for reading my story, it really means a lot to me :). To celebrate, I am posting a new chapter, thank you all so much for reading my stories! :) Without further ado, here is the next chapter! :)

Sara's point of view

The funeral parlour was the oldest building in the upper district. Its walls were lined with strips of mahogany and oak. The floor was covered with an intricately designed carpet which was predominantly brown. The light fixtures were built into the high dome shaped ceiling, where murals upon murals were painted. The glass was stained with vivid yellow, red and various hues of blue. 

It was filled to its maximum capacity as person after person offered their condolences to the bereaved child.

The rosary beads arrested in my fingers as I caught sight of my parent's caskets. Something was definitely amiss.

I smoothed my black dress with my tear-soaked hands as I approached Godmother, my heels barely making a sound against the rug.

Every step that I took seemed torturous, as though weights had been placed on me, increasing by the days. I felt weak and helpless.

"Why can't I see my father's body?" I demanded, trying to put on a strong front.

The soft music flowing from the speakers abruptly stopped, there was an abrupt silence. My parents had been put into mahogany caskets lined with silk but only my mother's casket was open. She looked as bad as I had imagined but at least the plastic surgeon attempted to cover up her wounds.

My father's casket, on the other hand, remained firmly closed.

"Why can't I see my father's body?" I repeated, choking on the words as though they were poison.

Their bodies. It seemed so surreal that they had left me in a split second. I knew that they had to pass into the gates of heaven at some point, but did it have to be so soon?

They would miss my graduation.

They would miss my wedding.

The would miss their grandchildren.

Godmother blew her nose and said, "Your father...he was severely mutilated, I'm so sorry Sara, but they couldn't...make him...you know..."

"How could he be mutilated? The bastard only shot him..."

"He must've come back to finish his job, I suppose."

The tears which I had been holding in threatened to drip from my eyes. But they couldn't, I wouldn't let them. I knew in my heart that my father wasn't dead.

"Sara, let's go," Glastian said, before placing his hand on my mother's casket. Tears flowed from his eyes as he whispered a quick "I love you" to her. He had always loved my mother the best, he was literally like a puppy, following her wherever she went. She always talked to him, helped him, counselled him, she was his friend. Sadly, she wasn't mine.

Gerard maintained his poker face as he said goodbye to my parents, gulping when he saw their caskets but he didn't utter a word.

Next, there was me. I couldn't maintain a solemn face so I became an emotional wreck, the bereaved child. I kneeled in front of my parent's caskets. I held my mother's cold, hard hand as I wept.

Then I saw my father's casket, I lost it.

I screamed at them, "Why did you leave me?"

Of course, there was no response. Half of the people there looked at me as though I was insane while the other half of them looked at me pitifully.