Man

Sasha held onto my hand as we headed into the mall. She was still red eyed and teary from crying her heart out over her father.

I looked down at my baby girl, who didn't deserve any of this. I decided to bring her out for the movie and a nice meal to cheer her up. I was buying tickets and she really wanted to watch this movie trailer. I kept her in my purview as I quickly bought tickets, turning around only to see her chatting with a girl.

Who was that kid? In comparison to my Sasha, who was all dressed up in a frock and nice shoes, this girl was in a flannel shirt, jeans, and sneakers. However, she must be saying something right for sure as my Sasha was laughing away.

I walked over to both girls, and Sasha saw me. She excitedly ran up to me, wanting to introduce her newfound friend Ellie. Ellie turned to me and greeted me really politely. Her dressd down persona fooled me! She was so soft-spoken and gentle. I could see why Sasha had taken to her instantly.

"Are you alone, Ellie? Where are your parents?"

"My father is in the toilet, Sir. I am just waiting for him."

I nodded. Sasha told me that they were watching the same movie ad and had started speaking. I just smiled as it was her first proper smile, and I was absolutely grateful for it. We waited for Ellie's dad to come back. Both girls were chatting away whilst I was checking my schedule for the week. I had a few late nights, so I was definitely having to call in a babysitter.

"Ellie, sorry. I'm back. Who's this?"

The voice sounded oddly familiar. I looked up only to see that lawyer. What was his name? Oh yes, Mile!

He was equally stunned to see me too, but Ellie ran up to him and held onto his hand, dragging him closer to introduce him to Sasha and myself. I grimaced as Sasha's face changed a bit, and she naturally held onto my hand and cowered a bit. Ellie noticed the change. She looked at her dad, and the next thing that flew out of her mouth made me laugh.

"Papa! Did you tell these people anything upsetting?!"

I watched as Mile groaned, kneeling down to whisper in his daughter's ears. Ellie just smacked him gently on his hand. I heard him whine a bit and nearly smiled, but I held it in.

"Im sorry about what my Papa had to say. I know he was doing his job, but it must have made you sad."

Ellie stepped closer to Sasha and said sorry and reached out to pat her hand. Sasha didn't say anything but nodded at her. I just smiled at Ellie. Despite her age, she was so sensible. I guess this man and his wife must be doing a good job parenting her.

I kneeled down to Ellie, thanking her for being so kind. I also mentioned how proud her parents must be of her. She smiled but went over to Mile and held his hand, stating she only had him as a parent, but he really was mommy and daddy to her.

Damn busted. The awkwardness hit me hard, and this time, Sasha hit me hard! I was really getting busted by 7 year olds today! I apologised to Mile and Ellie, but he waved it away. He didn't seem like the most chattiest, but the way his hand protectively held onto Ellie, that was enough to tell.

I told Sasha we were getting late for the movie. She bade goodbye to Ellie and Mile, and we took off. Sasha thoroughly enjoyed herself during the movie, and hours later, we came out. We thought of getting ourselves a nice dinner when we bumped into Ellie again at the lift lobby, but she was alone.

"Is your father in the toilet again, Ellie?"

"No. He had to go off. Daddy said some work stuff. I am going down to meet my helper who will bring me home."

I nodded. It must not be busy being a single parent too. But Sasha had really taken to Ellie and both girls chatted all the way down. Ellie seemed reluctant to leave and Sasha really wanted her to stay for dinner. I asked Ellie's helper to check with Mile if they could join us for dinner.

Post the phone call, she said he was OK with it. I nodded and brought all of them to this nice Japanese place for dinner. Unlike Sasha who was picky with her food, Ellie was very easy going and ate everything. I was surprised as she was so similar in temperament about food just like me.

We had such a good time that the girls exchanged numbers at the end of the day. Essentially Ellie got my number and I got Mile's so both girls could chat with each other when they wanted.

As we were going home in the taxi, I looked over at Sasha who was sleeping. The day didn't start out the easiest for my little princess but at least it ended on a good note.

Though it also left me subtly mortified over the irony of his child being the one who cheered my daughter up when he had caused her tears with the news.

I know Mile was just doing his job but it still wasn't the nicest. But Calvin, that asshole was getting it from me soon. Nobody makes my Sasha cry and think they can get away with it!