Mile

I adjusted my jacket after Mr Trisanu had slammed the door on me. I sighed inwardly as this wasn't something I agreed with, but the client wanted, so I had to do it.

Personally, I wouldn't even take that asshole as a client, but when his father is a major stakeholder in the law firm I was working in, I had to. I whipped out my phone as I walked away, calling Calvin. Just as I expected, all of my calls went straight to voice mail. I sighed. This was going to be a long day.

I called my boss, who told me Calvin was away on a holiday and told me to just sort it out. I gripped my hands tightly, thinking about all of these selfish pricks I was working with. I took a deep breath and went back again, knocking on the door.

A little while later, Mr Trisanu opened the door, glaring at me.

"I still don't see Calvin, and you definitely dont look like Calvin. Are you not understanding what I am saying, or do you only listen to the paying customer and ignore the grieving 7 year old?!"

I sighed as I muttered, "I am sorry, but I tried calling Mr Jhoom only to find out he's on holiday. It wasn't my intention to break the news to Sasha. I just..  look, it's a legal document. My job is to deliver it. If you have any issues, please take it up with Mr Calvin directly."

Before he could say anything else, I shoved the document in his hands and walked away. Just as I got in the lift, I saw Sasha walk to the front door. Her eyes caught mine and my heart lurched privately when I saw it full of tears.

I went back home instead, my thoughts flitting back to Sasha all the way home. When I got home, Ellie bounded upto me.

"Papaaaa you are home early!" I smiled at my own 7 year old and scooped her up in my arms. The whole incident with Sasha hit me harder as I had my own kid and I couldn't imagine if this had happened to her.

"Yes. I had a lousy day at work. Shall we go out for some ice cream?"

Ellie nodded excitedly and went off to change. The helper tagged after her to help whilst I put away my things and changed into a comfier outfit. I looked at the photo of my wife and me on our dressing table. Ellen had passed away just after Ellie was born. Poor girl never had a chance to know her mother at all but I tried very hard to make sure that she had the best of both worlds.

Which is why, this whole thing with Mr Calvin's daughter was hitting me harder than usual. Asshole had such a sweet child and yet he screwed it up spectacularly.

I went down to the front door and Ellie came running up to me. I shook off the thoughts of what had happened, choosing to firmly focus on my little one instead. I couldn't control what happened to other people's kids but mine, that I could. I wasn't going to let Ellie be short changed in any way. Not if I could help it.